1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to tell the age/use on my used strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ron Johnson, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Nov 19, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    So I got a 40$ project bass (Ibanez GSR205) a few weeks ago. I fixed it up and everything, but I can't tell how old the strings are that came with it. They're some dumb looking (in my opinion) orange strings, but before emptying my wallet for some new (regular nickel colored) strings, I want to know how to tell how old these are. I don't want to buy new strings yet if these still have life to them (despite how much I hate colored strings). It's so hard to look for corrosion or skin in between the coils because it's coated in some orange stuff. I have no clue what these strings are in the first place, all I can tell is that they're roundwound. The only sign of wear I see is that the orange is rubbed off a bit wherever there is a fret. So if any of you are experienced with colored or coated strings, can you tell me how much playing it takes before the color wears off over the frets? Thank you. Please don't tell me to just buy new strings. I'm on a budget and I'd hate to remove strings that potentially have life left in them since they're expensive, no matter how much I hate the colored strings. And no, I couldn't ever put these strings back on if I removed them because the previous owner installed them so badly that if they were removed and put on once more they would break. So these can't be saved for backups. Also, perhaps one of you could identify these strings, and if they turn out being cheap, I could justify throwing them out and getting new ones.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    lz4005 likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Use your ears.

4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Cut one and count the rings...:rollno::rollno:

Winfred likes this.
  5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    One of the best buys on a bass I have heard of lately. Congrats. I gig at an open mike weekly jam that one of those in a 4-string is the house bass, and I'm impressed with the price/performance. I don't bother to take my bass.

How to evaluate strings?

Listen for: loss of sustain, wobbly or chorus-like overtones, won't stay in tune, won't intonate at the 12th fret, sounds thumpy or "dead."

Look for: visible corrosion, visible dents or flat places in the windings, broken or frayed windings, kinks. This does not include the windings slightly opening up as they transition the bridge and nut, because that is normal.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021