Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to tell the bandleader the song sucks??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kboyd, Apr 22, 2003.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I have been in a jazz/blues rock band for over a year. We have all written our own music for originals and some of us have written our owns songs. Our band leader who wrote the majority of the songs. and who is responsible for finding 3 out of six of us wrote a terrible song which bombed everywhere we played. It is 7 minutes of oooing and ahhhhhing super slow, flashback to the drug induced sixties era and just completely sucks. Even those who grew up in the sixties hate it!!
    None of the band members have the heart to tell the guy that his favorite song he wrote sucks, other than saying "i don't think it fits our style". He then just says he can make it better..If I speak my true feelings, it will not come off as plainly critical because he wrote it for his wife. The song is the only embarrasment for a group of talented musicians including the leader!!!!!
    Any suggestions???http://www.boydbasses.com

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    After the check clears.

3. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    look man
    it happend to me all the time

what i do?

start to get fame of knowing a lot about music
    (i have learn alot from here)
    then correct everybody
    bve a wiseguy

a mr knowitall

then pretend that you know what is the best for the song using words of famous guitarplayers or bassplayers or drumers

somewhere here

i read one ...that "i preferd to give a catchy bass lines, and then go home and do all the speed suff and keep it to my self"

or something like that

in spanish it sounds muchs better beliveme

the point is that

when you apply everything you know + a LITTLE character and some seriusily voice and the tipically "man i dont know about vevery body but i dont think that the song need to go in that way...look try it like this"<--on this part all the hours and missing homeworks pay back when all the experiecne you get hbearing all type of music help to give good directions to a song

if you dont know a lot of music( for the record...i dont know as much as i said but it the other in the band will think that you do if you do a little research about the things that they like in personal...i mean can have a comon group that they like...but the guitar player must like some particulary guitarplayer or something and that is the way to go) or you dont have any good idea...try to do something very bassic that sound cool

i really dont know how

but

that works for me...just tell them the things directly with ear pleasing words

that song sucks man reallly = man i think it kick ass but lets see if it sound better in other way; wow man that is cool try to no (do what you dont like about it) so often

and that is a start...

it requires baby steps sometimes

if is a new guy that is trying to take control or the tippicaly guy that want to appli ALL THAT HE KNOWS to a song and PROVE THAT HE CAN PLAY FAST you can always say

"jjajaja you must be jocking right?"
    "yea right...cabn you belive this guy?"
    "explain me how do i appli that to a song?"
    "it is out of tempo belive me...it appear not but...IT IS"
    "look man i have apreciate all that time sharing but you just suck man when you get better you can always come back if there is a vacant of course"

that works for me

4. Tell him the song sucks for your band, but it is perfect for his other band!;)

If he says "what other band?" tell him:

"What, you don't have another band? Get one, man - don't limit yourself."

Or something like that.:D

5. You have to be honest. It may hurt a bit too. There may even be bad blood too. BUT, if the other band members feel the same way you do, then SOMEONE needs to step up and grow a pair. Your frontman may not like it, but he will be better because of it, and so will the rest of the band. Good luck.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Use the Don Was method.

Remind the bandleader that he wrote [insert title of good song here] and say that the seven minute dirge is not on the same level and that he should strive to maintain the same level as the good song, which the dirge clearly isn't.

I'm assuming the leader wrote at least one decent song...:p

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D :D

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i use the semi-honest approach.

"dude, you're song is a really great song - but i just don't like it."

with practice, it gets easier. i'm pretty lucky, randy (my guitarist) writes most of the material for the nerve these days. he comes up with about a song a week, and i like about 1 out of every 10 he writes. it seems to roll off his back at this point - we say, "it'll go on the solo album."

songs are soooooooooooo subjective it really isn't that difficult to be honest and say you don't like something. if the rest of the band doesn't like it either then me thinks you shouldn't be doing it. i think, as someone else said, that the truth often hurts - but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. he'll get past it, if not then my guess is he'd better start learning how.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah, just be honest. My guitarist and I write the majority of the material for my band, other songs I will write by myself. once, he wrote a song on his own and the lyrics were just awful. I didn't mind telling him his song was the pits because he is a guitarist and he does have an enlarged ego, so bringing him down was no problem for me ;)

10. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Reverse psychology! Tell him that since it was for his wife it's much too much of an intimate and private thing that the rest of the band cannot do justice to ;)

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tell him the song is great, but you hate his wife, making it impossible to play the song.

OK, I'd just have a band meeting. Say to him that the rest of the band does not feel that that particular song fits the group, and you won't be doing it anymore.

12. I'd modify this approach a bit...

Say to him that the rest of the band does not feel that that particular song fits the group, the audience never seems to like it, the rest of the band doesn't enjoy playing it, and you won't be doing it anymore.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    yo dude this song sucks!

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well, whenever your leader tells you to play the song, you and the rest of your band should play something completely different, something that sounds good and that people like, but that he has never heard before, and insist that it is the same song. Eventually he will get the picture, and you will have a good song under your belt too!

that or just tell him it sucks, that always works. :p

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    So far, this is the best way to handle your sitch.

If dude can't see his song is a crowd killer, maybe you need to get him some glasses. I was in a band with guys like that. They seemed to think it was cool to scare everyone off the dancefloor and back onto their barstools. Oh well.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    lmao...aint that the truth

17. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks guys, I am trying to find a way to enhance the howling (from the audience and like a dog) some people were doing while we played that song on a gig that was recorded. Maybe he will get the hint:) Really, we are going to discuss it with him next week, and tell him the song does not fit the rest of the bands musical style and we don't enjoy playing it. If he still wants to do it, knowing myself I will loose it and just tell him the damn thing sucks, is embarrasing to play, and I would rather watch a dog turd turn white than hear him sing a note.................. There I feel better.
    Thanks all

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :D :D :D

19. HA!!!
    i got kicked out of the last band i was in for saying that the 12 minute raggae/do-wop/70's prog piece of crap just didn't work and would never work.

i suggest you walk softly and carry a big stick.