Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to tell the year of a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Disgusted with the sound of my new Warwick Rockbass, I returned it and got a MIM Fender P-Bass. I think I got a real GEM, since I played it next to an American P for $1k more and couldn't tell the difference. The sound is deep, low, and tight. I love it. One question: How can I tell the year of the bass? Is it in the serial number? The serial number is MZXXXXXXX. Thanks

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well if you would have included the serial number, it would have helped :rolleyes:

But here´s a webpage where you can probably find the info you need. Isn´t Google a wonderful thing?

http://www.vintage-bass.com/Informations/Fender_Dating/fender_dating.html

3. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
  4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Unless we are talking vintage, this is easy

Decades are denoted with a LETTER... S(Seventies), E (Eighties), N (Nineties), Z (2000s).

USA Serial # may be Z269835... (Z2) is the key, 2002

When you get into imports, they add a letter before the decade...

MN9683982 is a Mexican Made 1999
    The indonesian made ones start with an I, but numerical may be diff, I forgot. If I'm not mistaken though, it's even easier than USA/Mex

Japanese ones are all way different, but remember that they don't make many there anymore. Almost all of them were made before 2000, lots in the 80's.

5. Mine starts with MZ1, so I guess it's a Mexican 2001. Thanks for the help.

Man does it RUMBLE...I love it!