1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

How to tighten or remove knob? (Not pot)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TortoiseBass, Sep 6, 2020.

1. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    My tone knob is loose. It still works perfectly it’s just kind of annoying. I’ve only been playing a couple months so this will be my first EVER repair. I’m thinking about changing the knobs but I might just tighten it up. If any of you know how it would be greatly appreciated. I believe this is the knob it has: Guitarworks Guitar Control Knob, Chrome Metal at Gear4music

Here are some pictures:
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The knobs you posted a link to are “push-on” knobs. Since it is loose, it should pull right off. To be safe, double check and make sure it doesn’t have a set screw like this:

upload_2020-9-6_15-23-14.png

TortoiseBass likes this.
  3. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    No it doesn’t have one of those. Though I did once turn past the limit and so it van turn further. The pot works fine. Is there a way I can just tighten it without removing it?

4. If there's no set screw, pull the knob off. Take a well lit picture of the exposed pot shaft and the bottom side of the knob.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  5. And don't turn it any further just in case the pot is loose.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  6. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Should I use a specific tool to pull it off? I don’t want to damage my bass at all. Can I put the knob back on? Should I buy the knobs and do the repair when I have them? Or can I just take of the knob and twist the peg thing the knob is on?

7. If there is no set screw, pull the knob off with your fingers. No tools no prying. I suspect your pot is loose. If you're not comfortable with any of this, take it to someone who is. No disrespect intended.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  8. Yes the know will press right back on as long as there is no set screw. If no set screw, it is a friction fit knob.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  9. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    I can’t push it down so you might be right about the lose pot thing... I’m actually kinda scared to do anything because I really don’t know anything about electronics so I’ll probably get it repaired. Either that or I just leave it as it still works fine.

10. If the pot is loose, you can break one of the wires by turning it too far.
    Goodluck with whatever you decide. Make sure your location is updated in your profile page. Maybe someone will volunteer to help you.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  11. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    I don’t really want to do a location thing.

12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    To remove the knob, use a spoon-

13. I Understand.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  14. Welcome to TB. Pull the knob straight up away from the bass, not turning it like you're using the pot. There is a hex nut holding the pot in place. tighten it if it is loose. If you are squeamish about in depth repairs, try wrapping some scotch tape around the pot shaft. One or two wraps should do. That will enlarge the diameter of the shaft and the knob will fit snugly. Cheap, reversible and easy. All good. Hope this helps.

15. Either get it worked on or fix it yourself. It's a simple fix.
    If you just leave it & the pot (potometer) is loose, it will loosen more until it spins too much and breaks the wiring. I know from experience long ago.
    If it's the push on knob that's loose it should pull off easily w/ your fingers. If it doesn't then the pot has come loose from the white pickguard.
    Pull the knob off and there's a nut you'll need to tighten. I recommend using a long socket that'll fit over the shaft of the pot.
    I also recommend carefully removing the pickguard off so you can hold the pot in place while you tighten it so it doesn't spin. There probably won't be much slack in the wiring from the pickguard but you just need to move enough to get a grip on the pot. I would check the other knob/pot while your at it.

TortoiseBass likes this.
  16. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Sorry which part is about tightening the pot? I think the pot is loose. I’m honestly really scared as I’ve only been playing for four months.

17. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

Take a sock and wrap it around the knob.
    Then take a pair of pliers and gently pull the knob off.
    You will see a shaft and a threaded part with a flat nut around it.
    Tighten it up with the pliers.
    Replace the knob(if you want to use the same one)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    TortoiseBass and Rolling Thunder like this.
  18. TortoiseBass

TortoiseBass

Aug 26, 2020
    Hi everyone, I took off the knob and there was a nut around the little pole thing the knob sits on. My dad tightened it up. No more wobbling! Didn’t even have to take off the pickguard! Thanks for all the help. You guys have been great! I’m happy that my dad and I have done my first repair!

19. Yep, I use two spoons and gently alternately pry each side.

Now this is where you need to be careful, if the two halves of the knurled pot shaft are squeeze together use a small flat tip screw driver and gently spread them. Do not over do or you will break them. I then cut a small section of a plastic wire tie and slip the rectangle piece in the slot then insert the knob and it should be fine for a long time.

20. Sorry I didn't get back to answer your question. Sounds like your dad figured it out.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021