Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to translate volume into dimensions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I've been corresponding with Dr. Decibel from Celestion speakers and he has helped me to come up with some ideas for my AS Level technology project. I am going to be building a speaker cabinet which will be theoretically used in a school, therefore must be strong (able to cope with stupid vandal kids), must not take up much floor space and must be able to cope with being used in musicals/performances for bass guitar.

'The Doc' suggested that I use the Q15-2550 speaker. This is 300W and 8 Ohms. I have a 200W 4 Ohm amplifier. Will this work? Is it possible to convert it (through some clever wiring perhaps?) into 4 Ohm? Will it need it?

He has also calculated the best volume and port sizes to tune it to below 35Hz so it will cope with a B. He says the cabinet must have an internal volume of 80 litres. How do I change it from volume in litres to 3 measurements? Anything else you can think of that might help? Thanks in advance.

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Volume= Length(Height)(Width)

Don't make it a cube though.

Maybe Bgavin will pop in and give you the golden triangle or what ever. I don't remember it off hand.

If you go to www.ofgb.org and download the spec sheet I think it has it under the formulas tab.

3. If you are a Windows user, fire up the Calculator and put it into Scientific mode.

Cubic feet = liters x 0.03531566

80 liters = 2.83 cubic feet, rounded to two places

2.83 cubic feet = 4890 cubic inches

The cube root of 4890 is 16.97". We will round to 17.0"

Golden Rectangle formula is 0.618x, X, 1.618x or 10.5" x 17.0" x 27.5 inches.