How to travel far and keep playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Niels Keijzer, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Hello everyone,

I have this problem:
    This week, I started studying developing countries, and it looks like I'm going to enjoy the coming two years.
    In the third year, I'll be moving to a country in Africa, or South America for doing research, and trying to help the people there.

I've travelled before, and after two weeks or so, I really started missing my bass. As in REALLY.
    I'm wondering if there are people here who have moved to a far (ehm...exotic?) country, and how they handled playing (or not playing) bass.
    Did you find a band? Did you stop playing?

My ideas are:
    Starting saving up for a small, portable bass (maybe headless) with a graphite neck.
    Buying a headphone amp.
    Or maybe buying a bass there, which can be tricky.
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I don't know about others, but when I was in the Philippines 5 years ago doing missionary work there I had no bass for weeks - there was no electricity where I was - but I drove in to the city once a week to a local church and jammed with the band there on their bass. Also did the same when I did a research post in Singapore a year later - borrowed a bass from the local church, played with their band on Sundays.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't think I'd want to take an expensive bass with me to a developing country - the value would just be too high in relation to the local economy, and you'd be at real risk for theft.

If it were me, I'd pick up a MusicYo Steinberger Spirit paddle bass now, and start playing it regularly to get used to it. They're neckthrough maple, have a thick poly finish, and come with a form-fitting padded gig bag. That, along with a small, inexpensive headphone amp (I have a Dean "Bass in a Box" that works well) would make a nice travel pack. Just be sure to bring along a decent instrument cable in case you find a local gig scene when you get there!
  4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Thanks a lot for your ideas, I'm a bit more on the road now.

The point about the too expensive bass is well taken! I'm partly taking these studies to become a little less naive, and carrying such instruments would indeed be asking for problems.
    Maybe I'll settle for one of these steinbergers (my wallet will thank me, of course), but I'm worried about the woods when they get exposed to a different kind of humidity. (that's why I was wondering about the graphite)

And maybe I'll find a church to jam in as well. I should find one anyway!

Thanks again!