Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to tune DGCF

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Can anyone walk me through how to tune DGCF. I'm trying to learn Stare at the Sun by Thrice (good bassline) and that's how its tuned. Thanks for any replies.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Tune to standard tuning, and then drop every string a whole step.

You can find fingerboard diagrams that you can crossreference the strings on at activebass.com, cyberfretbass.com, and Wheat's Bass Book.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That's a pretty fun song to play. I use it to build up my picking speed. :bassist:

4. Would tuning down a whole step be like tuning the 7th fret on E to an open A?

5. Hold on, I just saw the tabs for it and it said CGCF. Is Stare at the Sun in DGCF or CGCF?

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Trusting tab, for the most part, is a bad idea.

I dunno what song you're talking about, though. It's probably some emo crap. :)

7. I'd say its emo, but has a good bassline that sounds good so I'm gonna learn it.

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It's drop-c. Like drop-d standard tuning, but one step down. It doesn't feel good with regular strings... :spit:

As far as calling Thrice emo, well, I dunno. I think they're more of the pop-emo-hardcore group, like Story of the Year and the Used.

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i wouldn't put thrice and those two bands in the same catagory, especially the used

either way, thrice is definitley NOT emo

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    No, it doesn't feel good at all. Honestly, I don't think it sounds very good either. Sounds really "farty", unlike the much more taut sound of a properly tuned B string.

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I suppose you're right. I was just trying to say that they're not emo/wussy. :p Thrice is much better than either band I mentioned, and I wouldn't ever put them on the same level. Most of the music I listen to is in the punk/hardcore genre, but I couldn't seem to think of anyone who is really similar to them. Good Charlotte, maybe? ;)

12. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes i agree that thrice is a better band than either of them

i listen to punk/hardcore also

you are cool

:: puts Hurley000 on buddy list ::

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well damn. I'm gonna run right out and buy me some Thrice, then.

:eyebrow:

14. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    that was a joke i believe

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    :)

16. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    :)

:hyper:

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    :cool:

18. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    well that was fun, but before this gets closed, i'll answer the question

yes, or tuning or E string down so that the open E and open D are now the same note, only an octave difference.. either way its still a D...

best way to do it is just to get an automatic tuner and go form there ime

19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    if you can't tune by ear get a tuner. if your in standard (EADG) make the E (ADG) a D. to do this tune the E string down until when you hit the 7th fret, is the same pitch as the A string. then tune down the A string and make it so that you tune to the D string's (E) 5th fret. A, should then be G. then tune the standard D string to the 5th fret of G. then tune the G string to the 5th fret of D which should now be C.
    DGCF is just EADG down a whole step on each of the strings.
    to do a dropped tuning, all you do is make the bottom string (E) a step lower so it is tuned to the next string on the 7th fret.
    that's pretty much it, standard is tuning to the 5th fret to the next open, then a drop is tuning to the 7th fret on your bottom string (E). you will get it, if you get a tuner you will no problem :D.
    hope my explanation wasn't total bull**** :p.
    :bassist:.