How to tune to D?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LiL BaSS DuDe, Nov 16, 2001.

1. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    How do I tune to D? (DGCF) This is standard tuning for a 5-string (GDAEB), correct? Can someone please explain how I can do this?
  2. To tune to drop d, just tune your e string down a full-step. ... Press down on the seventh fret of your e string, and tune it to your open A.

The most common 5-string tuning is BEAD, the 5th string is a 4th below low e.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Lil bass dude, are you a mandolin, violin, viola, cello, mandocello, or mandola player?
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Which direction are you listing strings? 5-string standard is BEADG *low to high* :)

I'm guessing you want to know DGCF *low to high*?
    Here's how I'd do it:

1. Use a tuner :D (best $20 you'll ever spend, well maybe not quite...)

Failing that,

2a. Starting with the bass tuned EADG (low to high), play the open "D" and let it ring, and play the first harmonic at the 12th fret of the E string. Tune the E string down until these two tones are the same. Then, work your way up from the (now) D using the 5th/7th-fret harmonics like you do to (I can only assume) tune your bass currently.

2b. After doing that, plug into a tuner and check the tuning!
  5. Looks like I didn't read the question correctly! I thougt you mean't drop D tuning!

Well geshel has the right idea, but I woudn't do it with EADG strings. The tension would be really high. You might be able to pick up a 6 string set, toss the B and E strings, and use the remaining strings.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I believe he's talking about dropping the whole thing a whole step: E->D, A->G, D->C, G->F. So the tension would be a little low. A .050-.105 or .110 set would work fine for that. :D
  7. Oh, that makes a little more sense.