1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to un-frick a bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Jul 28, 2012.

1. A friend of mine is managing a tour for this band and he gave me this bass to fix that got damaged in a video shoot. It's some mexi-fender with an active preamp in it. They want it to be just passive, so I'm wondering what value pots to put in it (250k?). Second, I am wondering what I should do with the extra pickguard hole, since it will probably end up being vol-vol-tone, leaving 1 empty spot. Lastly, I'm wondering if the p-pups are salvageable. I'm guessing that I should be able to just solder wires onto those two holes in the corners? Thanks!

How it came to me:
    c4689458.

the precision pups:
    e757ffd4.

2. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    A)What is damaged??

B)Is the 4th hole not for a jack? If not, make it a master volume or get a different value cap than the (other) tone control for a different freq. roll off (lower for a deeper vintagy thump or maybe higher as a kind-of noise control)

C) or maybe a stellartone unit?

D) I dont understand what that pickup is.. Is it just half of the original p?

3. A) The precision pickups and the electronics got ripped out of the bass

B) this pickguard has 5 holes. I've thought of both of those for potential candidates. From what I understand, the guy's in a pop punk band of some sort, so maybe a master volume

C) This is a possibility too. Although, I don't think he's too picky on tone.

D)Yes, the pickup pictured is half of the original p. Both p pickups have those holes in the corners on one side

4. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    1. That pickup doesn't look like it's for that bass.

2. If you have 4 knobs to work with I would use a separate Volume and Tone for each pickup.

5. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Cant help ya with item D, but, otherwise, master v seems like a good idea then

Now.. I still cant understand HOW they got ripped out.. Perhaps id rather not know :p

If he smokes, the extra hole could hold a cigarette..

6. 1. Can you elaborate why not?

2. That actually sounds like a great idea!

7. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    You can only use 2 tones as 1per pickup by including a buffer/resistance of some sort between the two... I forgot the how/why, ill try to look it up

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

The pickup holes are where you solder. You have to make sure the winding wires are still intact in the holes. They should come off the winds through the holes wrap around the flat and back through the holes again. Stick the lead in and solder it up.

9. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    I hope im not quoting this out-of-context .. We need a referee

10. both wires for both pickups are intact. Thanks!!

On another note, I think I might just throw in a master on/off switch as it appears they have that wired in the bass currently. Does anyone have a good source for wiring schematics/layouts?

11. My ideas for this bass are as follows.

1. Have one volume for each pickup.

2. Have a master tone.

3. If the bass has a hole for the jack on the bottom, use that and see step 4A. If not, see step 4B.

4A. Put a pot in the fourth hole on the pickguard and a knob on top, but don't wire anything to it. It'll look stock.

4B. Put the jack in the fourth hole in the pickguard.

12. I like your style

13. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    I just wired up a passive PJ.

250K linears on the two volumes (yeah I know our ears work logarithmically, but this is about a balance between two pickups, not overall volume. and also IT WORKS).

250K log and a .047 cap on the tone. I used a linear at first and got no effect until the last bit of the turn. Log works beautifully.

Many prefer 500K or higher volumes though, but 250K is authentic/vintage or whatever they are calling a mellow sound these days.

14. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Ive liked the idea of linear blend/stacked vol

15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes it does. It's a plastic bobbin Mexican Fender P pickup.

16. Does anyone have any good links for wiring diagrams or schematics?

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  18. Seymour Duncan's website has schematics.
    (oops, looks like SGDLutherie beat me by about two seconds!)

19. That is a deluxe precision special, I have 2...def not the pickup that came out of the bass.
    The original had a 4 hole pickguard with a stacked bass and treble knob.