1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to "unplug proof" my pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by throw_this_away, Apr 16, 2006.

1. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Did a show last night on a small stage and twice unplugged my bass during the set. This has happened before at shows (usually the singer steps on it and unplugs a patch cord) so I am looking to fix things.

Anyway, below is my board... I have since upgraded to using 1ft 90 degree connectors between all pedals and it is powered by a boss powersource with the daizy chain power thingy (this is what I unplugged the first time).

Anyway... any advice on "unplug proofing" my board would be apprecieated

As I can see it... my future list will include...

- a roll of stage duct tape to tape down all cords.
    - putting the pedal board off to the side as much as possible (I don't use it that much so I want it in a low traffic area, maybe at the foot of my amp)
    - drinking a little less
    - whatching where I go when I run around on stage
    - 90' input jack for the line going into the tuner (harder to pull out by stepping on it.
    - Taping down the power connectors

Any other ideas are welcome.

2. To cure the power supply coming out liberally tape around the connection (between daisy chain and power supply) with some electrical tape, I do this when I have to extended mic cables around a stage and fear small urchines (sp?) unplugging them.
    As for the jacks, a 90 degree jack would help then you could gaffer tape over the jack to stop it unplugging. Drinking less and moving your board are both good ideas. Also being careful where one shakes his groove thing and keep an eye out for your signer too, if he comes to close guide him towards a less volatile area.
    Another thing you could do is to run your Boss power supply from the back of the stage, if you don't already, just to make it less pull-apart-able.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You've already listed some good solutions... Another option would be to put a strain relief on the cables extending away from the board. Loop the cable through a small strap of thick rubber/plastic and screw that strap tightly to your board.

4. i plug into the bass body- not one of those off to the side deals- and i use a 90 degree to keep it in and never had problems- though im yet to throw any major acrobatics into the mix- so- we'll see then.

also- i notice a kot of folks wrap the chord once or twice around the end of the strap down there to keep it on more- or at least a little out of the way.

or duck tape and a fancy spraypaint finish to turn the heads. your call- form or function.

5. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    A guy at the local music store gave me the best idea yet... use thick rubber bands and 90 degreed cords for all pedals (wrap the band around the entire thing). The thick bands for lobster claws work best but I am using tape in the same way until I find some. He even uses these rubber bands to secure the converters onto powerbars.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    cable-clamp-s.
    How about securing the plugs to the board with something like this?