Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to use cd creator on one pc while the cd burner is on another pc in yoru network?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IvanMike, Apr 3, 2005.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's the deal............

i'm temporarily stuck at my mother's house.

i set up a lan with my linksys router with her desktop and mine so we both can have internet access, and so i can print using her printer.

now, my cd burner is shot. i have roxio cd creator on my pc. she doesnt want any porgrams installed on her pc (even temporarily) as she is deathly afraid that they all contain viruses or other things which will cause her pc to burn alive. :p

is there a way i can burn cds on her pc using the roxio software that's on my pc? is it as simple as "sharing" the folder that has roxio exe in it and then accessing that from her pc?

i'd just use her microsoft wp to burn thwe disks but she refuses to install updates because one caused her some problems once and whatever version she has right now refuses to burn music or data cds (i have a lot of coasters thanks to that program) :rolleyes:

2. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh come now, you pc geeks shoudl be awake from your night of hard partying by now............... :smug:

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [edit] scratch that [/edit]

Pop the drive out of Mommy's tower and slap it into yours :meh:

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    HAH!!

mommy values her things much more than people. i don't like to have my kids over here as she yells at them for the most trivial things. (and belive me, i can be rough on my kids, but not in "my possesions are worth so much more than you'll ever be" sort of way.)

and yes she is that bad........ :eyebrow:

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    There are registry settings that are required when the software is installed for it to run properly. If you just run the exe from her computer, it has a remote chance it might work, but more than likely it won't. The registry settings contain information about the hardware itself, as well as some other things.

How about installing the software, and deleting all shortcuts on her start menu, desktop,etc. You can even make the files and folders hidden. She may not even know that it is on her PC. To run the software, just use windows explorer to run the exe located on her computer. It's underhanded, but it's the only way it's really gonna work.

Better yet, do what Mr. Hart suggested and buy a new burner. You'll need one once you're unstuck at your mom's house.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually my pc is a laptop, a new burner is out of the question unless i get an external usb one.

as far as installing it, i tried but i have version 5.0 which is not xp compatible. it used to be that roxio had "fixws" to download that would let you use version 5 on an xp machine, but yesterday i went to the roxio site and they said that they will no longer support version 5. they listed a 3rd party yhat i could get help from, but going to that website i typed in every variation of "roxio 5.x, XP" and got no help whatsoever. i recall there being two or 3 files that you had to install from roxio after installing version 5.0, but darned if i can find them now...........

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You can probably find a free version of NERO Burning ROM, if Roxio doesn't work.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    got $50 ???

:p