1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to use Delay in Stereo with two amps?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jibreel, Oct 8, 2006.

1. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have two Acoustic image amp/speaker system. One has one channel and the other has two.

I want to send a signal from my bass into the first amp and then send that same signal slightly delayed into the second amp for a fatter sound.

What delay pedal/device would be the best for this and what is the best way to connect it.

Would sending the original and slightly delayed signal into the two channels on my two channel amp give the same effect as with using the two separate amps?

Thanks for any info !!

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you determined if the two-channel head allows use of both channels simultaneously? Another consideration, regardless of which system you use, is phase cancellation. You'll need to set the delay time so that the signals don't interfere with each other audibly.

Do you want a classic decaying echo sound, or do you want the delayed signal to be a perfect repeat of the first? If the former, lots of delay units (both analog and digi) have the ability to send separate clean and effected outputs. If the latter, you might want a rackmount delay intended for PA or radio applications. Those just retain and transmit your signal unmodified at a settable number of (milli)seconds after the signal comes in. I think Rane, Radio Design Labs, dbx, Tapco, and Symetrix are some makers of radio/PA delays.

3. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks for the input.

Yes, both channels can be used at the same time.

I actually want a clean re-production of the original sound so that may limit me to the second category of devices. However, I also may want to " color " the original sound in some way.

I would really actually like to find a pedal that would work as I do not use any other rackmount gear. The DD-20 has stereo outputs. Would that work ?

I am unfamiliar with the phase cancelation issue.

4. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    You could always run a splitter cable. Have one side going into one amp, then the other going into the delay. If you want to color your sound to either, just change where the splitter/pedal is.

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It seems like most delay pedals have both wet and dry outputs, so no external splitter is needed. The DD 20 would work fine. It sounds to me like a digital delay would be preferable for a clean reproduction, and just set it for one repeat with a very short delay interval. It would sound very cool, unless you're playing faster lines in which case it will get quite messy.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021