How to use Graphic Eq

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Mar 2, 2003.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico

I have a SVT4PRO head. I always put the EQ with the typical smile position.

Can somebody explain me how to get the most out of my graphic EQ in diferent situations

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    There was a thread about this a while ago in misc i think. :D

All you can do is fiddle. Just play around until you have the sound you want. I know youve heard that alot before :rolleyes:

Just play with them. Start with everything on 0, then move every second on up or down then move another few. If you think your ears are forgetting the sound you want, walk away for a few minutes. :D Good Luck
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    This thread probably belongs in setups...which relates not only to how we adjust our instruments but our amps as well.

Does the Ampeg manual have any suggestions?

I personally don't like graphic EQ so I'd bypass it if I used that amp...

I'd suggest that you set a good tone with the regular tone controls, then use the graphic to either adapt you tone for the room or use it as a second sound for slapping or something.

While smiley face eq sounds cool at home, it doesn't cut very well with the band...

Have fun!
  4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree with BillyB on the smiley face EQ pattern. I used to always cut mids on my EQ but in a band situation those mids really help to cut through.

So...start with every thing flat and try adding some high or low mids while your playing.