How to use my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ulyanov, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Ok, this is going to sound stupid, especially for someone who's been playing for almost three years, but I don't know how to use an amp. Since I started playing, I've been using an old amp that only had volume, bass, and presence knobs. But I'm getting a new Peavey TNT 115 tonight, and it has a lot of stuff on it I don't understand.

For example, it has pre gain and volume. I know that pre gain is when it boosts the volume before the signal is processed, but what does that mean to me? Which one should I control the volume with?

It has a line out for an XLR cable. Is this for plugging into a PA system?

Contour switch? Bright switch? Post EQ effects loop? What are these?

Thanks for any help.
  2. OK lets see if I can help!!!

Pre gain controls the output level of the pre-amp. So this is the boost that the signal from your bass gets from the pre-amp. Volume controls a the output of the power amp. What you wanna do is set the pregain as high as you can without the bass distorting. Control the output volume with the volume control.

The XLR output could be a balanced outout to a desk - for recording purposes or as you suggest to a PA.

Contour switch - not sure, my MArsahll Guitar amp had one of these, it effectively changed whewre the mid boost/cut occurred - ie changed the contour of the signal (adjusted the position of your sine wave - I'm not explaining this one well 'cos I ain't 100% certain)

Bright Switch - Puts in more top - makes the sound brighter.

Punch switch - I seem to remember this is on it, adds more bottom end - more punchy sound

EQ - this can be added pre or post effects loop. If you EQ pre effects loop, the EQ settings will colour your sound before it goes into your effect loop (if you've got anything in there). The effects will then do their stuff on that signal. If you set it to Post EQ, then the signal coming back into the return that has had the effects aplied to them will then have the EQ settings affect it. If you don't use the effects loop don't worry about it! IF you do, try both and see what you like best!

Hope this helps - and is reasonably close!!:)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The pre-gain on your amp, is how you described it. It controls the gain of the signal coming into the amp. You adjust the pre-gain to keep the amp from clipping(overdriving). If you have a bass with a weak signal, you add more pre-gain, a strong signal(active), and you use less pre-gain. Go with your ears. You control the output volume of the amplifier with the master volume(or volume) on the right.

The XLR out is for recording, or going into a mixer(PA system).

The contour switch, and bright switch are additional tone controls. Contour affects the midrange, and bright adds high end sparkle to your tone.

The effects loop is for plugging in additional effects(distortion, chorus, etc.), into the amp. Post EQ means the effects signal is being send after the EQ
    section. You don't really need to worry about it.

The manual should tell you what everythink does on the amp. Have fun!:)

edit....looks like Johny got to you first! Oh well! He does a good job!
  4. joerosen

Jan 30, 2002
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    Tweaking the pre volume knob will affect the way your bass will be heard through the amp. After you found the sound you want, adjust the volume using the post knob.
    The XLR cable should go directly to the P.A system.
    I'm not sure about the Contour on the TNT. On GK it boosts the high and low freq while cutting the mid.
    Bright switch will give you a "brighter" sound using high freq, a kind of treble booster.
    The Post EQ effects loop gives you the option to put an effect after the EQ, and not before it, as if you were hooking it the regular way, before the amp.
    Hope I helped.
  5. Thanks AJbassking for corroborating my story!!!:D
  6. Hey Ulyanov - did you get your amp??? How d'you like it!!!! You've got me thinkin' about one - I could do with a nice combo for practising and for smaller gigs, the Trace can be overkill and a lot to move!!!