Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to use my bow??

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by OzMike, Aug 25, 2000.

1. OzMike

OzMike

Aug 25, 2000
    I recently got given an URB for my birthday. I can play it a bit (i've played EB for years) but i can't get a sound when i use the bow. Has anyone got any hints and tips??

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Bowing is a technique best learned from a teacher. Also, proper rosin and the application of same is crucial for good tone and easier starting of the string.

Do yourself a favor and take a few lessons to get launched with the proper techniques so you won't establish poor habits.

Some information you may find helpful is on the Bass Pedagogy page, one of the first links in the first secion of my Double Bass Links page at http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html

3. Lessons with a bass teacher are a must. There is no discussion on this.

4. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    funny thing, I took lessions for three years. when I swiched teachers, I had to start back from the begining and relearn techniques. in the long run it takes a lot of work to get anything..... definately seek some sort of instruction

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Handle your bow as you would your woman.

6. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    rosin... not kidding my bow didnt when i first used it :p so i had to get rosin. i expected them to give me a rosined bow. go get some your self a can 'o pops and start playing!