how to use the 5th

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JWC, Nov 6, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I have always heard about simple bassline using the root and the 5th (i.e. a 1-5) player. How are 5ths used with the root. Do you use the higher pitched 5th (the one 2 frets down on the next string) or the deeper pitched 5th, the one on the same fret, one string over.
  2. It depends on what you're playing and on taste. Neither is
    better than the other, though, and they both serve the same dominant function.

[Edited by David Kaczorowski on 11-06-2000 at 02:57 PM]
  3. I agree, just play both and see which sounds better in a given situation. I think the 5th is the coolest interval.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 vote is for the b5th! :D

A "simple", yet effective, Root-5 bassline is the "Two-Beat" feel(it's found from Jazz to Country).
    Anyway, you play the ROOT on Beat 1 & the 5 on Beat 3.
    Experiment with both the "upper" & "lower" 5th; experiment with using both half-notes & quarter-notes + quarter rests.
    If you can play with a little "bounce" in your rhythm, it breathes.
    Too, if you're into any kinda Latin bass playing-
    Root-5 is all over the place.
  5. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    The best is when you play both a b5 and a b3 in the same bar. =)
  6. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thought that second part of Jim's post was a sig! =)

Generic Bossa is pretty much all 1-5-5-1 (in Bossa rythmn, of course!). And is it just me, or does playing 1-b5-b5-1 in Bossa rythmn just sound unbelievably cool?
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Those tritones are pretty nasty. They also have the added benefit of throwing singers off. :) JWC: the fifth on the string below is actually an inverted fifth, ie. a fourth below I. If you're playing standard blooz rock, you can navigate the I/VI/V progression with just one fret. Just don't let anyone catch you.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, Sambas, too.
    You WILL get some nasty looks from a vocalist playing a Bossa like that! :D
    Try this-

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A lot of classic Bossas do have chords with flat 5 in - try "Wave" for example or "Corcovado". Half diminished chords do usually have a minor third as well - never throws our singer off, but then she was born in Rio in Brazil! ;)
  10. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Use of the fifth "Your honor, I can't answer that question as the answer may incriminate me."
    By the way JimK, isn't that the theme to "Bonanza"? :D
  11. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I use a 5th shot glass at a time...:D
  12. what kind of fifth we talking hear whiskey, vodka, scotch
    if we are talking intervals i am partial to the flat 5 or the sixth