Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to verify a 70's P. Bass body.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :) Greetings fellow bass-lovers.

This is my first post on your great looking forum, so I hope that some of you can help me.

I've just bought what appears to be a very original 1975 Fender Precision ("Why?", I hear some of you cry. I know that not everyone is wild about 70's Fenders) and I have been trying to check out the authenticity of it.

I found a good website for dating the neck and the hardware (http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html) and I'm as sure as I can be that these parts are original on my bass. What I can't find is a website that has details/pictures of the body cut-outs for this era of P. Bass.

I'm especially curious about a large round cut-out underneath the bridge, out of which the earth wire to the bridge protrudes.

My question is this: :confused:

Can any of you tell me if this is normal for that era, or can you point me to another website with details on the subject please?

I really hope that it is 100% authentic, as it's a fantastic sounding and feeling bass and I want to be able to tell people with confidemce that Fender/CBS did get it right occasionally! :D

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

2. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I'm not sure how to verify a body unless you have a keen eye for finishes and contouring and such, but I believe a circular routing under the bridge for the ground is right for that period. I've seen it on Jazz bodies.

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Any way you could throw up some pics of the body? Or of the bass for that matter :D We like checking out new basses around here.

I'll take a look at a couple of books when I get home and see if I can find some specific info on 70's body dating. I just skimmed over some of the web pages that I use and couldn't find anything. Hopefully, I or someone else will be able to help ya out with this.

Oh and welcome to Talkbass. Soon you'll be on here all day long like the rest of us :D

4. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :)
    Well, thanks for your comments guys. If you do happen to find out any more info - I'm all ears!

In the meant time, here's some piccies of the beast in question. I'm afraid that I didn't take any of the hole under the bridge whilst I was cleaning it up and I haven't been able to put it down for long enough since, to take it to bits again.

For those who are wondering, the bass is completely original, except for the scratchplate, thumbrest and chrome covers (all of which are Fender replacement parts). Cleaned up nicely, didn't it?

:D (Glows with pride)

5. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    nice bass

do you have the narrower J neck?
    a lot of late 70's p basses have j type a necks
    my 78 p plays like a dream

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have a 76, and it's got that rout.

7. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Thanks!

No, mine's got the wider, fatter neck (exactly the same width as my US '62 reissue, but thicker). It's just as well though, as I have hands like tennis racquets (as anyone can tell when listening to me trying to play)! :bassist: :eyebrow:

8. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Hi Jimmy. Do you mean that circular cut-out under the bridge? Great, I can relax now, seems it is all original afterall. :smug: