Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how to...: volume (push/pull series/parallel), BLEND, passive tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, May 8, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I know we have discussed in detail series/parallel mods. How would this be done if I had a blend knob?

Would this be the same wiring for a PJ bass (PJ in series/parallel, not P in series/parallel)?

Thanks...

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Can we move this one to pickups please?

It can be done, wiring would be slightly different but not much. You could do it with a dpdt on the master volume knob or a separate dpdt switch.

One important note, when you engaged the series mode you'd need to have the blend knob on 100% neck as there'll now be no bridge pickup signal to blend in.

Was this a 'can it be done' question, or 'can I have a wiring diagram' question?

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    sorry....how do I move it

and this was a "how do I wire it" question. I have one drawn up, but I don't know if is correct.

(viewing the pots from the bottom, with the tabs facing down)

volume pot (left to right-> v1, v2, v3)
    blend pot (left to right, top to bottom -> b1, b2, b3, b4, b5, b6)
    tone pot (left to right-> t1, t2, t3)

dpdt:

AB
    CD
    EF

neck pickup hot ->b2
    neck pickup ground ->C
    bridge pickup hot ->D
    bridge pickup ground ->(to ground)

A->B->C
    E->(to ground)
    F->b5

b6 ->b1 ->v2 (??)
    b4 ->b3 ->(to ground)

v1 ->t2
    t3 ->(to ground w/capacitor)

Does this make sense?

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I attempted to do a schematic (ATTEMPTED, but not succeeded). Couldn't attach it here, but it is attached on a thread at ebassist....

Link to parallel thread

scroll to my post with the attachment (warning...it's rough)

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, thanks for the diagram. I didn't have the patience to draw it out on paper myself.

Looks good. Only thing is that the connection joining A & C on the DPDT is superflous. When the switch is 'up' A and C terminals are connected, as are D and B - this joins the bridge hot to the neck ground, creating the series sound.

When the switch is down, C and E are connected as are D and H. In this case, neck ground goes to ground and bridge hot goes to blend.

So, DON'T WIRE A & C together.

Sorry if you already know this, just trying to explain my comments.

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    In another thread, it was said to wire C to B or C to A to B (either one). So, ignore A completely and just go C to B? Someone said that the only way to do this with a blend was a 3 way switch. That didn't make sense to me. I think the blend will have to be set on the neck pickup to work properly in series, but that is no problem.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I don't know which thread you're referring to so I can't comment on that.

In the wiring, you need to join A&B - I only said to miss out the A to C portion.

And yes, when in series only the neck pickup is generating an output signal so you'll need blend on 100% neck.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    clarifications of previous post...

from this thread said to join A to C.

that is what I was referring to about the 3 way switch. From this thread.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you want to wire it that way then do so. There are different ways of doing it, you don't need to use a TPDT switch but you can if you want. I've described the method I've used which I know works.
    Again, this would get more responses / comments if posted in pickups.

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I would be happy to, but I don't know how. Just start a new one in pickups? I thought that the mods would just move it. That would be fine with me.