Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to walk

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by flacoclef, Oct 5, 2000.

1. flacoclef

flacoclef Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    Hey Mike,

what is the best way to walk the bass? I've read a lot but still clueless. I would like to see some good examples, and Books...thanks Frank

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    For book ideas check out the posts under "Beginner Jazz" on my forum, I listed a few good ones there. A walking bass line is comprised of a smooth, mostly linear bass line connecting one chord to another. The key is to determine a harmonic strong point or landmark in the next chord and play a smooth linear motion to that note using scale tones, arpeggio tones and chromatic passing tones. Listen to some Ron Carter or Ray Brown, they are two of the classics and their lines are very accessible. Also listen to some Scott LaFaro with Bill Evans. Playing walking bass lines demands that you think at least one chord ahead. because you need to be moving toward that chord so that on the last beat of a measure ou are within a 1/2 step or a step of the aforementioned "landmark". I hope this gives you an idea of where to start.

Mike

3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    flacoclef:

Listen to the masters. (P.C., Oscar, Scotty, Ray, et.al.) Ed Fuqua has a great "archived?" lesson on how to actually immerse yourself in a particular song. I have it in hard copy from probably two years ago, but it deals with learning all aspects of a particular tune, both melody and harmony. I'll admit it's tedious, but it is a tremendous learning tool.

Ed, is it still in circulation? May be time for a reprint.
    Anyway, I have "Before I Close My Eyes" playing on the CD right now, it's growing on me exponentially. Nice job, Mr. Fuqua.

By the way, I was reading the liner notes to Edgar Meyer's Bach, Unaccompanied Cello Suites, And in it he states, ...."I started playing them when I was twelve, I used to set my metronome at sixteenth-note = 50 and then work my way up to speed, one metronome notch at a time."

Jazz, Classical, Rock, it's really is all the same in terms of learning, correctly.

[Edited by Tim Ludlam on 10-13-2000 at 10:15 PM]