Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to Warm Up a Jazz Bass? GEEE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by register2, Nov 10, 2004.

1. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Hello. I have a possibly paradoxical problem: I have a Fender American Jazz bass, yet love the warm thumpy tones of a Motown P-bass a la James Jamerson. Is there anyway to warm up or fatten up my tone to make it sound like that? The two things that have occured to me are (a) to get a pair of Basslines stacked humbuckers and just use the neck pickup (wouldn't that effectively make it a P-Bass setup?) or (b) to get a pair of SD Antiquity II Jazz pickups. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Wiring in a series/parallel switch might give you what you are looking for. Stop by your nearest Fender dealership and try a late-model Jazz which will already have that (S1 switching) installed and if you like it, then there you are.

3. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    I shall try that forthwith. Width? With. Would it be more expensive to have the bass rewired with a switch than to install new pickups? I know that trading in my current one for a new one will prolly set me back about $200 at least. But I will investigate anyway. Thanks for the info!

4. I've done this and it works great. You should be able to have this done by a competent tech for less than $25 + parts in my estimation. Less if he's a friend. It's a fairly simple mod you could do yourself if you wanted and here's the place to see how:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109322&highlight=Series/parallel

5. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    roll back you treble knob a bit.. then roll off you tone quite a bit... play closer to the fretboard... get some more phat bass on your amp...maybe even try flatwound strings...
    what do you think?

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'd start with the cheapest alternative, put on some flatwound strings and play with the EQ. Flatwounds are a big part of that classic sound.

7. I agree that flats are a big part of the sound, but the series/parallel mod will really finish the job. My Reverend has a series/parallel switch and mine never leaves the "series" position!

8. problem solved. make sure you have 250k ohm pots.

9. Why pickups? A preamp can change things too. In my Fender gig bag now there is always the Aphex BassXciter. Try some of those small gadgets. It might be the answer.

Whenever I open that gig bag, the whole band starts - "There's gonna be thunder today! "

Jure

10. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    Howdy. Thank you for all the tidbits, I'll try them all. I've had some Rotosound flats on there for quite a while and it definitely helped beef up the sound tremendously. I'm still curious to try this parallel dealy, just cause it sounds neat. I'll have to play one of the new Fenders. And a bass Xciter Preamp? I have never heard of it, but will now track it down and give it a listen. Thanks again for all the good ideas.