How to wire a J Bass in Series without the Parallel mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by memphidelity, Sep 19, 2014.

1. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    I have J Bass in parallel. Don't like it. I'm not Wozniak, but I can't find a diagram to wire the bass in series only. This is probably simple, but I don't see any examples or diagrams.

2. Wire it exactly like a P bass.

3. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    So solder the core of the neck pick up's black wire to the core of the white wire of the bridge pick up? I think I get everything else. Thanks for your time.

4. Yes.

As a practical note, some pickups do not have grounded pole pieces, which results in hum when touching the pole pieces. If you have pickups like this, it would be best to put the pickup that you touch most frequently on the ground side, rather than the signal side.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I don't think you'll dig the sound. I didn't.
    and wiring them out of phase - ick, yeah THAT'S a useful sound!

6. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    Lineman. Thank you. The bass has plates beneath the pickups and the cavity. I will ground all of that.

Harry. Thanks for the insight. I am going to buy some humbuckers (Lollar or Fralin) one day. But this Geddy set up sounds so weak. This is mainly a curiosity-killed-the-Squier situation.

7. Is your Jazz the regular Jazz bass wiring? Is reg Jazz bass wiring parallel?

8. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    Works perfectly. Sounds great. Exactly what I wanted. I guess it's a matter of taste. Thanks.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep.

10. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    damn, way to grab the ball and run with it :thumbsup:

series-wired J basses are a bit niche-y, but it's a fun, big fat sound; i maintain that this wiring really shines on the 5-string passive Js, it really brings back the anemic B.

memphidelity and punchdrunk like this.
  11. Love series Jazz bass setup

12. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    Yep. I have my JBass with the rotary switch mod, and I think I use it in series 90% of the time. In my band setting the extra mid kick is usually more desirable than the extended top end.

13. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    Thanks everybody. This sound works for me. I love Memphis mud, natural distortion, and careful melodic lines. I never slap or Jacofecate. It's not a PBass sound, as some say. But it attenuates the clickety sound and rounds out the bass, all of which kept me from using a bass I paid for! Thanks for all of your help.

photo (12).JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    punchdrunk likes this.
  14. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Indiana, USA
    As a bonus, you now have one volume and one tone. Less is more!

15. Standard VVT wiring is still an option, but it is arguably not practical.

16. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've got two Jazzes wired with push/pull series/parallel switching tone pots, and I'm in series nearly all the time. V. beefy! :)

17. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a good while ago i came across a set of gotoh J pickups that were bizarrely underwound, like 4kΩ each; totally anemic in normal parallel wiring, they sounded really good series, with that fat series mid and low but still clean and balanced, and at a more "normal" output level.

if i were doing the series J thing i'd get a set like that made custom, say from fralin or nordsrand.

18. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the other thing i'd do is use the three holes to wire it V/T/T; in series this becomes quite useful, because rolling the tone off one pickup does not affect the other one!

what you get when you roll the tone off one pickup is that you hear the highs of the other pickup, but with the series low-mid fatness of both pickups retained on the low end. single coil highs and humbucker lows at the same time.

the result is like a single coil sound with a nice bass boost.

memphidelity likes this.
  19. memphidelity

memphidelity

Sep 19, 2014
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Weird as Hell
    Walter,

I like that VTT set up. The jazz I did last weekend was prep for the one I'm working on now. It's the one in my avatar. What would be different about the wiring compared to the standard P-Bass wiring I used before?

Thanks again for all of the help.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021