How to wire just a single tone pot, nothing else (no volume, just 1 single tone pot)?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Feb 7, 2021.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    How would I go about doing this, and would it be possible without having to re-solder and rewire the P pickup that is currently installed in my bass wired directly to the output jack socket?

Can't quite wrap my head around this, but my best guess is that this can't be done without me having to re-solder and re-wire the pickup to add it, cause if I added it in parallel, between the lead and ground out, it would rather work as a combined tone and volume control, is this a correct assumption?

How much high end would just a capacitor wired in parallel between the lead and ground on the output jack socket cut, as my purpose with this is really just to be able to roll off some high end and pretty much leave it at that setting?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    MS-Paint "editing" showing connection for tone control only setup. Of course, the volume control can be removed as long as the ground connections are still complete. tone_only_NoV.png

If you want to avoid soldering, there a few different low voltage wire connectors you can use. Soldering is best, but you can probably get away with using either "bean" type connectors or the UR type phone wire connectors, sometimes called "gel" connectors.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I don't want to avoid soldering I want to avoid having to un-solder and re-solder the wires from the pickup already connected directly to the output jack socket, but as far as I can see from that diagram I should be able to just wire and solder the tone pot in parallel across the lead tip and ground sleeve wire from the pickup that is already soldered to the output jack socket, would that be correctly understood?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022