How to wire my amp and cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Apr 15, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just got an Ashdown 300H and Avatar B212....

On the rear of my amp, there are TWO 1/4 jacks as speaker outputs...and on the cab, theres a single 1/4" jack (well, two, in is an input, the other is to wire a second cab in parallel).

So my question is, do I need a Y-cable (two 1/4" into one 1/4")? Or do I just get a single 1/4" to 1/4" wire?

Thanks gang!
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Just one. The extra 1/4 inch is for a second cab...which is how I would run 2 cabs, rather than daisy chaining them.
  3. Jazzin'

So I'll get the 185W out of that one output?
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If your're running an cab with an impedance of 8ohms, then yes, that's about right for the wattage. If you were to add a second 8ohm cab, then it would drop the overall impedance down to 4ohms and you'd get the full 307 between the two cabs. Or if you were to get a single 4ohm cab, you'd still run the full 307 with one 'output' to the cab.

I would suggest NOT using any kind of Y cable as a speaker cable, or if you do...take pictures and post them.
  5. BigSky Bass Guy

BigSky Bass Guy

Apr 15, 2005
    Depends on the ohmage rating of the amp. If it's listed for, say, 300 watts @ 4 ohms minimum, and your cab is an 4 ohm cab, that output will provide you the full 300 watts. If your cab is an 8-ohmer, then the amp will probably only output about, yeah, 180 watts.
  6. Jazzin'

Thanks, it's all good. I'm gonna go take pictures now.