How to wire this switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Feb 9, 2022.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Had an idea, want to see if it's possible, and if so, how to do it.

I want a 3 way, on/on/on mini switch (6 lugs, as that's what I have), to operate as such- up, pickup is off, middle, pickup is on, down, pickup is on, with an orange drop capacitor, essentially making it a passive tone rolled all the way off. I've tried several different things, but can't get it quite right. Thank y'all!

2. E2942

E2942

Jan 25, 2022
    You need an On-OFF-On switch to make that work.

JKos likes this.
  3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Assuming your on-on-on is a type one (middle position connects middle left to upper left, i.e. left is up, and middle right is connected to lower right):

Upper left: empty
    Middle left: hot from pickup, jumper to middle right
    Bottom left: ground

Upper right: one end of capacitor, other end of cap to ground.
    Middle right: jumper to middle left, hot signal out to jack
    Bottom right: empty

Position one - both legs down. Pickup hot and jack hot are both grounded. Bass is off.
    Position two - left up, right down. Pickup hot goes to jack, nothing else in the circuit.
    Position thre - left up, right up. Pickup hot goes to jack, cap is in the circuit in parallel with pickup.

If your on-on-on is a type two, it'll work the same, but swapped between the one and three positions.

This is a pretty cool idea, it would give you two useful tones and a mute function, all in one tiny switch.

NicJimBass likes this.
  4. There's multiple ways. Here's one:
    Toggle_off-on-dull.jpg
    This is how C&K Switch numbers (at least some of) their on-on-on switches. It doesn't seem to be standard which side of the switch changes first, and E-Switch is different than C&K. The above shows the left side switching first. If it's the opposite type, move the pickup connection to pin 6 and the capacitor to pin 1.

NicJimBass likes this.