how to wire up a 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowb311, Aug 8, 2005.

1. lowb311

Aug 8, 2005
    This should be an easy question for anyone out there who knows their stuff. I have an Ampeg 4x10 cab, and recently I fried my amp (smoke everywhere!), and ended up blowing a couple of my 10's in the process. Being a motivated and industrious bass player, I decided to take all the speakers out of my 4x10 to test to see which ones worked and which ones didnt instead of taking it into a repair shop.
    However, being mildly retarded, I didn't pay attention to how the wiring went when I took it apart, and now I cant seem to rewire all the new and old speakers correctly. One seems to be getting more juice than the other three, and as a result is distorting, creating a gigantic pain in the ass and pissing me off to no end.
    To make a long post short, is there anyone who could tell me how to wire all the speakers up correctly so as to have an equal amount of power being distributed to each one? I'd rather fix this myself than admit defeat and take my cab into a ****ing repair shop.... so I would appreciate the input.
    Thanks. :help:
  2. term + ________ + spkr - _____ + spkr - _____ etc.... - term
    That's series

__ + spkr - ____ - term
    I__+ spkr - ___I
    I__+ spkr - ___I
    I__+ spkr - ___I
    That's parallel

Or put 2 in parallel, in series with the other 2 in parallel.
    __ + spkr - _____ + spkr - ____ - term
    I__+ spkr - ___I__+ spkr - ___I

The tricky part is determining which you had.

Do you remember which of the 3 look familiar? Do you know what the impedance of the cab was and the individual spkrs are?

8 ohm spkrs and 8 ohm cab would be the 3rd one, series/parallel. Or 4 ohm speakers and 4 ohm cab.

16 ohm speakers with 4 ohm cab= parallel, the second one.

2 ohm speakers with 8 ohm cab= the first one, series.

3. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    In bass cabs, the usual way is all speakers parallell, ie every speaker is connected to the input jack.