1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to wire up a speakon jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaroh24, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    I've been working on a 2x15 speaker cab for a little bit, and the time has come to wire up the jack. I have 2 Faital 15PR400s at 8 ohms each. I'm going to wire them in parallel making the cab 4 ohms. I also am not using any crossover of any kind. I want to have these running into a speakon 1/4 combo jack, but I have never used one of these jacks before.

My question is: do I just wire both positive wires to the positive terminal and both negative wires to the negative terminal? (I attached a drawing to illustrate my question). Also, does it matter what gauge copper wire I use? I just have 16AWG here right now. Lastly, I could only find 2 styles of speakon 1/4 combo jacks. They appear to be the same, besides the the fact that one has a PCB mount and the other doesn't. One of the jacks talks about how it can accept a twist lock 1/4 cable... not sure what that means. But are there any differences between these two that I am missing??

1) "Neutrik NLJ2MD-V speakON 1/4" Combo Connector 2-Pole Vertical PCB Mount" from www.parts-express.com!

2) "Neutrik NLJ2MD-H speakON 1/4" Combo Connector 2-Pole PCB Mount Horizontal" from www.parts-express.com!

Attached Files:

2. In my mind you’d do better just using plain NL4 SpeakOn and leave behind the inferior 1/4” phone plug. The Phone plug isn’t safe past about 2-300W anyway. If you want to daisy chain the cabinet then add two SpeakOn sockets.

Wire positive of the drivers to +1 on the connector. Negatives go to -1.

3. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    Well my only bass amp right now is an Acoustic Control 370 which only has 1/4 phone plugs, so I don't mind 1/4. But maybe I will just use the speakon only...

Does it matter what guage/type of wire I use to wire the speakers to the speakon connector??

4. Make yourself, or buy, a speaker cable with a SpeakOn on one end and a Phone plug on the other. !6 Gauge is fine for the wiring. When you change amps, as you will, the new one may well be SpeakOn only. You just then have to install a Speakon plug in place of the Phone plug

jaroh24 likes this.
  5. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks for the help!

BassmanPaul likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Both of the neutrik combo connectors are PCB mount. The horizontal has longer terminals which makes it easier if you want to solder wires directly on. With the horizontal mount the PCB is intended to be along the bottom.

I did two different circuit boards for the vertical connector. The are intended to be used with 18 gauge stranded wire. 16 gauge would be too heavy to fit, although the hole size can be easily changed. Details are here: Technical - Amplifier | TalkBass.com. If you use them, I suggest that you buy the square ones as there is more room to attach the wires.

7. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
  8. When in doubt, go to the manufacturer's website. I think PE confused things a bit.

NLJ2MD-V - Neutrik

jaroh24 likes this.
  9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Yup, there are jacks with spade plugs for crimp on connectors to the speaker wires, solder pins (cups) made for receiving speaker wires, screw terminal as I posted, and circuit board through pins, the latter made for circuit boards, not wires.

Solder cup - for those who know how to solder. Solder as in probably circuit board level soldering, not just able to make it stick.

Spade plug - for those who know how to crimp properly, with the proper tools, quality parts and experience, or solder as above with terminals made for soldering. No good for those with Wal-mart junk or pliers and Wal-mart terminals. Wal-mart includes Autozone, etc.

Circuit board pins - for circuit boards. Only makes sense for a replacement parts or for a DIY circuit board like a crossover. Sure, you can solder wires to them, but it makes no sense., cups are easier and better.

Screw terminal - anyone with the same PZ screwdriver you need for the speakon cable ends.