How to write songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am having trouble sriting songs. I can't even get words to string together right. I don't know what's wrong. Anyone know of any good places for inspiration? Ways to pry a song out of your gut? I like good solid rock. I am a real big fan of the Smashing Pumpkins. I also like some of the "punk" stuff out today. I am trying to get a band going, and I need some songs, bad. I'll also mention that it wil be a Christian rock band. Maybe some punk roots, I dunno. I am also not sure if I will be playing guitar or bass or what. But I just need somne inspiration. Any help is appreciated.

2. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA

Write everything that comes to mind. 4 bars of music, stupid lyrics. Write it all down. You have to write dozens of crappy songs before you can get a feel for yourself as a composer.

A trick I use, if you want to call it a trick, is something I learned in a creative writing class in college. As opposed to just striving out with a singular idea, brainstorm song ideas. Map things out on paper so you can see them. Sometimes things make more sence in writing then in your head, and vice versa. It really helps to piece a solid song structure togeather, and you usually find yourself avoiding "formula" writing, which is really hit or miss.

Just my ramblings. Hang in there!
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    What J said.

Also, pretend you're writing the song for someone else, like an artist or band you like. Imagine what kind of song would fit that artist and set your parameters accordingly.