How to write songs

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by chunkybeef31, Aug 6, 2002.

1. chunkybeef31

Aug 6, 2002
    i usally write things by making stuff up in my head then transfering it to my bass. Is this ok to do.
  2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    No. You must use established and accomplished composing techniques in order to make good music.
    You are a bad person and should be punished.

Apologies for my bluntness, but nothing enrages me more than creativity without discipline and order.
  3. lol
    IMO the best form of creativity is almost always spontaneous.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Whatever works, dude.
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I wrote my last 2 songs on a Fender Telecaster. :eek: I will wait in the corner for my punishment.
  6. po3t

Jul 24, 2002
    Marion, NC
    If it works, you can do it, if it doesn't work then No it's not ok.

My suggestion is to learn alot of theory, so you will have a solid foundation, to work with.

Creativity should not be structured or disiplined, in fact that sound kind of communist to me. LOL Creativity is exactly that, creativity.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh jeez thats freaking funny, made my freaking day! now to go play my freaking bass!
  8. i tend to elaboarte on small riffs or cords i hear from other basslines or guitarlines, sometimes i'll take what the guitarist is doing, and introvert it, by that i mean, start a the middle, play the end, then the begging. hasnt failed me yet. then again....i play ska and punk.;)

p,s, what does IMO mean?
  9. IMO= in my opinion.
    I make omelettes
    I massacre onions.
    Ill Man Orgy.
    Ice Machine Ostrich
    IAB= i am bored.

My band always like makes the music first and get it down and then the singers of our group (The lead singer, guitarist and myself) put some words to it.
  10. IMO - In my orange
    I use the riff's in bass book's but make them funkier and sound different for copyright purpose's. Not that no one will here them anyway.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No, no ,no ....Communist composition would be like this :

So there would be a people's committee to decide which subjects were appropriate for celebration in music. The glory of the people and the party chairman, would be top of the list. The chairman would endorse the committee's decision provided it met with good communist principles.

Unfortunately no time could be allowed off from harvesting wheat in summer for composition and no candles could be spared in winter for such a frivolous use of the people's resources. So the charman will continue to listen to his black market imported Neil Sedaka LPs and grit his teeth! ;)
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Howard - do you think we need to create a section called "lessons in sarcasm" for the FAQ ? ;)
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    How about a utilatarian songwriting process where the song would only be written if all the listeners liked it. :rolleyes: It's infectious, I'm turing into Bruce, excuse I'm off to fire bomb Mac Donalds ;)

Personally, whatever method you use is ok providing people like the results. If you got booed at your one and only gig then a rethink is in order.

My system is to record all practice sessions on all instruments and have a listen. 1 I can tell if I'm improving (which is why I play/practice) and 2 I can recall that inspired moment and use/abuse it as a riff/intro/verse/chorus

RE words I write them down even if its a couplet I dont like (maybe it will fit somewhere). I actually wrote an instrumental as a song then ditched the words.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

That was Stock, Aitken and Waterman!! ;)

Seriously, I remember Pete waterman explaining how they had a bank of cliche-type lyrics that they had got from focus-groups as sayings that resonated most with ordinary people. So they had a "Hit Factory" and would turn out singles on a production line.

Fisrt step - get a reasonably well-known B list celebrity from a soap opera or something - set up a bright, dancy programmed backing. Gather enough from your cliche bank to make a song - things like "Better the Devil you know" - put them together by using harmonisers/digital editing to cover up the singer's shortcomings and - instant hit single!
  15. po3t

Jul 24, 2002
    Marion, NC
    Song sharks are communist.
  16. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I forgot about them, werent they were pre Antares Autotune?
  17. Bruce Lindfield

It's "McCarthy-ism" all over again! ;)
  18. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If the guitarist has a good riff let him make te rest of the song (with your help ;) ) and there ya have it

If the lyricist has a good set of lyrics, make music to the way the words go

it may no tbe the best way, but it works for me ;)