Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How transparent is a metal grille.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I found a local metal fab guy, and he has some SS sheet metal with the round cut holes that are 3/16 dia. He said it is a 50% void coverage. I'm afraid that it will impede the sound from an 8-10 Ampeg. What is the limit for % that will make a grille transparent.? Thanks, Bob

2. Doesn't sound like a good option to me.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Take a look at Ernie Ball Audiophile cabinets. These are mine.
    They look like about 50% coverage to me. The holes are REALLY tiny, and in person, you can't really even see the speakers behind the grille. I worried that it would be a problem at first, but they sound awesome. In my experience, this type of grille presents no problems.
    [​IMG]

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You might want to try them like this:

[​IMG]

5. Rockbobmel

6. Rockbobmel

That looks like the stuff. I can't get a good close up even with photoshop. The rows screw with the pixels.

7. Rockbobmel

Are they Stainless steel?

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I don't have direct experience, but I doubt they are SS. Too expensive for commercial use for bass cabs, especially the way the steel market is inflated nowadays. 3/16 diamter is one measurement for perf, the other is the spacing. that will give you the spec for that kind of perf. The perf on my Bag Ends is 1/8" dia.X 3/16" spacing, which is pretty thin and makes a good grill. If the spacing of your 3/16" SS grill is too wide, then it won't make good grill stuff. 5/16" might work, 1/4" might be too wide, going by a comperable ratio of diameter to spacing. And if he's charging the SS price, then you'll probably pay too much. Then again, you don't have to finish the SS, but the SS will be softer, not tougher than standard hot rolled steel.

9. Rockbobmel

Thanks, The guy said it woulk be between $30. & $40. If I wanted it formed on a break, another $15.
    That sounds very reasonable. I'm gonna bring in some pics of cabs so he can see what I want better. I like the Eden circle/spacing example best.

10. Rockbobmel

Got the grille today. It is like an SWR grille. Killer! $50.
    Check out my web page (images too large for TB) at http://www.bobmelnik.com