Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How useful is talkbass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 3, 2005.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all!

I was just wondering how usefull you all think Talkbass is? Or any online musician's community for that matter?

By usefullness, I'm referring to the ways in which it helps you, as a musican, flourish and grow in ways that you feel you may not be able to have achieved without it - where do you think you'd be, knowledge and skillwise, without Talkbass? What do you think the advantages of such an online community are? Or the disadvantages, if any?

:)

2. Here I can check out the newest equipment reviewed by people that have no monetary reason to tout the most recent pile of knobs and dung as anything more than it is, brush up on technique and find flaws I may not have realized existed, and pretty much get any bass/music-related question answered (by using the search function) that my feeble mind can come up with .....all in one website.

As an added bonus, I get to point out that some people's deep seeded social beliefs are based more on what they want to see than what is really there. It is in fulfilling myself musically and emptying others emotionally that I find the true beauty that is TalkBass. I'm now going to rephrase that last sentence and include in my soon-to-be-released collection of sonnets entitled "If You Suck, and Poetry Sucks, Then Your Reading Of This Book Has Just Broken the Seventh Seal".

Mike

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    No... It just gives me GAS :(

:p

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Useful? Somewhat. I think the DB side is extremely useful since I don't know a whole lot about playing upright and I'm trying to learn. The electric side is hit and miss, though. I think there's way too much emphasis on modding your bass and buying new ones to achieve musical goals that can only be achieved through education and practice. I think there's too many unqualified people answering questions that they have no knowledge about (a common problem on the net not exclusive to TB). I think there's too many people on here who believe throwing money at their problems with their gear can solve them.

On the other hand, there's a lot of people on here with a lot of knowledge and great ideas, and if you sort through the nonsense, you can get some real wisdom. Has it been helpful to me? At times. If I was a beginner or intermediate player I would find it very helpful.

5. TB is a complete and utter waste of time and money. If it wasnt here, I wouldnt know anything about many various aspects of the bass world and the equipment we use. So thanks Paul and everyone else that makes up TB. We have the best forum on the internet.

6. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Could be much more useful if the "cyber tough-guys" and aspiring comedians would stay out of newbie threads. But as someone else has said that is not only here that is everywhere on the internet.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with that - when I first came here in 1998 it was mostly populated by DB players who were interested in Jazz and as I was just starting to try to play Jazz, I found it an invaluable source of information and learnt a lot about Jazz and Jazz bass playing from the experienced people here.

At the time, there were very few, if any - people in the UK who were even interested in, let alone knowledgeable about, Jazz, who I could talk to!

Even now I keep discovering new great players and music, thanks to the TB DB side and it was invaluable when I was trying to buy a Double Bass, strings etc.

Conversely I do agree with Jimmy that the BG side has become over-run with Kidz,wannabes and gearheads - answering questions they know nothing about - sort of like "the Blind leading the Blind" - there is so much noise it has completely obscured the message!! :meh:

8. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I agree this site has been an awesome tool for researching gear, recordings, bassists, techniques, and just overall musical knowledge. Also the musicians on the site are helpful, friendly, and insightful....for the most part ;)

I wouldn't have my Brubaker or Schroeder without this site. And would still be using a stereo speakon for my bridged amp ;)

Thanks to Paul and all the Mods for keeping things flowing.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I find TB to be very useful. I don't come here for playing lessons, or ways to improve my playing though. I have used TB to educate myself on gear, and working on my bass. I've used TB for info on hot rodding my bass as well.

I have also made a few friends here, which is very cool. These new friends have educated my in ways that have nothing to do with bass guitars, or music.

-Mike

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I rest my case ;)

I always thought most of the fun of owning a bass was learning how to play it. Maybe if you're interested in being a luthier all that stuff is fun, but I couldn't imagine owning a bass and not wanting to learn all I could about playing it.

11. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Agreed... like good ol' refried beans...

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    as a guitar player becoming a bassist, TB was an unbelievable resource.

also, the community here is amazing.

which is the point. forums in general, concerning the other drum, guitar, sound forums i frequent, its the community that matters. i.e. before i was more involved w/ my own area's musical community, places like TB gave me a headstart to get to know my fellow low enders, etc.

corny but true, the internet does bring us together! :p

13. Has someone been e-bullying you?

Mike

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You've just pointed out one of the more useful things on the EB side. Yes, many think buying something new is the usual fix... and then they get to hear from people who've had the opposite experience. Whether they take that advice or not is moot... it's there. In a lot of cases people seem to really dislike that kind of advice... not surprising in a world where many still believe in simple fixes.

I've actually had people contact me long after they've disagreed with a POV I've put out there, just to let me know they tried what I said and... :eek: ... it actually worked.

Everyone can learn something here, even the old dogs that hate new tricks;)

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    holy crap. its yoshi.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

You mean you agree that the place is overrun with "kidz" :rolleyes: ... and the message is obscured?

I don't. I think if that's what you "focus" on, that's all you'll see... and whose problem is that?

IMO there's a ton of useful info in here. People who look for it will find it. People who want to be annoyed will find that too.
    :bassist:

17. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot for the feedback :)

Keep an eye out for a similar-themed questionnaire - I'm doing a project on the effectivity of online communities to musicians and figured talkbass was the perfect rooting point :)

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    TB is very useful for me.

Just yesterday, it folded my laundry, waxed my car, and finished a crossword that I've been hung up on. Go, TalkBass!

19. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    From quantum physics to animal husbandry. It's all right here at TALKBASS!!!!! And you thought Disneyland was the happiest place on earth!!! HA!!!!

Slug

20. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Not me personally. I see alot of it here though, mostly in young newbie threads. Sarcastic responses that are far less than helpful. I just don't see the point, if it seems like a dumb question or comment to you then just skip it, there is no need to try and humiliate someone that is just trying to learn. We were all there at one point.