Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how versatile do we think we are?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BoomSTICK, Jul 23, 2001.

1. BoomSTICK

BoomSTICK

Jul 23, 2001
    Atlanta
    I am wondering, how many of us players are as worthy as we think we are,
    I have been in several sessions and have gigged exstensively, and i still feel
    as if i have a very small knowledge of my instrument. I am a firm believer that
    I can not be where i want to be cause i think i always can improve.
    all critisisms are encouraged.

2. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Trust me, I know that feeling very well. I jammed with a new band this weekend. I have been working with the drummer for a while because our personalities match perfectly, but he is light years beyond me when it comes to ability and talent. We hooked up with a band that just moved here from Austin that left the rhythm section behind. The guitarist was 23, but for someone his age, he was amazing. We were doing so free form jamming, and I felt like I was holding them back at times. I'm hoping it works out because these guys have some good material that really impressed me. Lots of talent.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to the bord, BoomStick.

Well, it really depends. Versatility and knowledge of one's instrument are two different things. A person may be able to play many styles by ear or they might choose to play only one style an be all over the instrument. As far as criticisms go, you should be able to tell what you need to work on better than anybody. In general, knowing where the notes are on the entire fretboard is a good place to start.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'll go ahead and say I'm very versatile. I'll also tell you that I've got lots to learn. I think the two are not exclusive, you'll always have lots to learn, and you could always inprove your versatility.

I'm comfortable walking into any situation, and uncomfortable as well. I think the uncomfortable part is what keeps you "sharp" in an unfamiliar situation, but the comfortable part is the confidence that there's nothing I havn't played before, the trust in my ears, eyes and my ability to think on my feet.

5. banger

banger

Jun 29, 2001
    vienna wv usa
    Well I feel that way moast of the time. But every time i say that i try to tell my self that "your only as good as you think you are" it helps me alot you should try it.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, I for one am always weary when a member comes to the board and says that they've been playing for 5 or 6 months, or even a year, and all their friends think that they're the best. Whether or not they believe, when they post these comments it just leaves a little bit of doubt in my mind. Maybe I was a slow developer, but at 6 months, I wouldn't even let my friends hear me. Versatility is something that I strive for every time I sit down to practice. So, almost every day, I'm getting there, but there is still a lot I need to be able to do.

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    It's just a process of continuous improvement and growth. It never ends. Some days I play and I feel very good about what I'm doing. On other days I can tell from the first note that it's going to be a fight and I wonder why I even bother with this thing. I'm just not "feeling" it. Because I still rip myself to pieces after 16 yrs of playing, I wonder at times how I continue to do something I have such a love/hate relationship with. I guess I'm just a glutton for abuse. :)

8. Im not versatile at all. I can play pick and fingerstyle. I play punk and metal. I couldnt play jazz or pop or anything...other than punk or metal to save my life. But IM happy playing punk and metal.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've had this Versatile Residue starting to build up...