1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Versatile is a Soundgear SR700? (electronics question)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SabreChris, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    Long time guitar player, new to bass, looking for something to record basslines.

How versatile is an SR700? Can it get P-bass like tones?

I dont know much about bass tonality. With guitars, the majority of the tone is shaped by the pickup type (humbucker/single), the PU output (how hard it hits the first gain stage), the Amp, cab, speaker type, guitar wood, bridge, etc. . .

But in general, the biggest factor determining the overall type of sound is the electronics. Followed by other factors listed.

I know that MANY MANY bands have recorded with a P-bass, but I dont see any other bass types with that split style pickup.

Are modern basses like the SR700 able to cop a rock P-bass sound? What about a slap funk sound? What about something mellow like classic rock?

2. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Not super versatile but not bad. With the neck pickup soloed it gets a reasonable P sound but it wouldn't fool a Precision fan. The overall tone is very much crisp, hi-fi and modern. Nothing wrong with the sound, it is smooth and scooped but there's not much grit to be had even with the mids dimed.

It sounds like you are looking for the vintagey tone of a passive bass and if that's the case then the 700 is not for you. It sounds like a "modern" bass. Dont get me wrong, its a very well made and easy to play bass, the electronics are dead quiet (good for recording) and the construction top notch. I am thinking about putting an Aguilar pre-amp in it as I love the bass but there is something about the tone I can't seem to warm up to.

It does the slap thing pretty good but I cant slap for love or money so I am not the greatest judge but the scooped tone gets a good slap sound.

Since they cost about the same you could always look at a made in Mexico P if that's your thing.

As everyone says, your best bet is to try one. Don't necessarily let my advice sway you as It may be the perfect sound for you. I have just been gravitating to more vintage sounding basses lately.