Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How vintage should I go with my Hwy1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Apr 29, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Decided to get the 3tone burst hwy1 jazz. I was going to put on a tort pickguard and a neck pickup cover (glued onto the pickguard to avoid drilling holes). As far as appearance, how vintage should I take this? Is it worth switching over to stacked knobs (60-61 ish)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    17% more vintage. No more.

Is it "worth it" to switch to a stack knob setup? You tell me. If the vintage thing is your vibe, knock yourself out. Seems like a lot of trouble for me for a mod (let's be realistic) that 1 person in 200 will say "Hey, don't jazz basses have three knobs?". That's just me, though.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    16.32% more and that's my final offer!

I like the stack knob look, but I can't figure out how to add a series/parallel switch without having to have a separate toggle. That would go against the whole idea of it looking vintage, imho.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Depends on how picky you are, I suppose. I made my H1 P-Bass look more "vintage" with a tortoise-shell pickguard, a bridge cover, and a thumb rest. I put the thumb rest, however, right above the E string between the pickguard and the bridge. Not exactly vintage, but it still looks hot.

I'm not able to name, off the top of my head, anyone that makes concentric push/pull pots. So I guess it just comes down to priorities - which are you more concerned with? Having the series/parallel switch, or looking "accurately" vintage?

5. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

MEC, but they aren't the right values (not 250K).

I was thinking about a finger/thumb rest, but don't think I will need one with the neck pickup cover. I do like the fact that (at least in pics), the Hwy1 burst almost has a tobacco burst to it. Not nearly as red as some other bursts (a good thing!)