Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How was your New Year's gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by matrok, Jan 1, 2006.

1. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I had a really good gig tonight, and probably the best one in town. We only had to play an hour and got $500 each. We played a really good, uptempo set and ended it with four Zeppelin tunes. Now back to the regular paying gigs.

So who else had a great night?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I had a pretty good one. Had to play a lot longer and didn't quite make $500, but it was fun. It was a band where we hardly knew each other, but it was pretty tight and the audience had a good time. And I was bandleader, and I always like bossing people around ;) Some country club out in Ocala, Fl with about 100 people.

3. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Decent. Slow to begin, but it picked up after awhile. Made some cash, played some Cash. Game over, Player 1 wins.

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Did a gig with a band leader i job with regularly,he is very green AND hard headed(a great combo)but he pay's well.the gig went the way his jobs usually go,him calling the wrong tunes at the wrong time at the wrong tempo.but we(the band members)had fun and laughed our way through it,and at the end of the night he handed me a check that covers my morgage payment so it aint all bad ya know?

5. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    pretty good aside from our guitarist breaking a string on his main player (used his shorter scale fender mustang for a couple tunes til the venue manager could change his string while we played) i almost fell but kept on playing, jumped of the new drum riser and used my bad monkey tube OD pedal for the first time at a gig. got drowned out a bit, but problems will be solved once we all upgrade our gear. celebrated the actual new year at waffle house.

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    gig went very good. lot of pretty girls dancing, we played really tight, free beer, got me a good ole juicy one after the new years, and we got paid very well.

overall I would say it was a success! :)

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Had a great gig!

Fourth year doing this gig, and it gets better every year. We played at an out door public park from 5:30- 7:15PM with no break. But that was it. We ate in the VIP/ sponcers' reception at 4:30, paid about $250 which is a little low for NYE, but I was home by 8:00PM for a party at my house with the wife and kids. (As I get older, that has become more important than having a gig on NYE). This year we had a huge stage and a great sound system. It was a lot of fun.

It's a nice family oriented event. Lawn chairs, blankets draped on the grass, old folks and little kids running around, a doo-wop group sang before we went on. After we played, they gave community service awards and then the fire works at 7:45- 8:15. Hurricanes and all, this is why I live in South Florida.

8. Probably the strangest New Year's gig I've ever done.
    We played for a New Year's party for a family that has one
    of these Big parties every ten years. They rented out an
    entire hotel, and all of the guys were dressed as Elvis!
    There was Elvis as a serviceman, Elvis in jumpsuits, Dead Elvis,
    complete with skeleton shirt and hands and pill bottle necklace.
    There was also Santa Elvis, Ninja Elvis, and Blue Elvis(blue face).
    We took lots of pictures, but I forgot my digital camera, so
    we got one of those disposable ones. We'll get them developed
    soon, but I don't know how to get pictures to show up here.

We played in the hotel lobby on one of those "put it together
    little platform" stages. I was worried that it was going to be
    boomy, but it worked out just fine.

We got fed, rooms, and $325 apiece. All of our wives got to
    come along and had a good time as well. We only had to drive
    about 180 miles for the gig, and caravaned down there.
    This was our last New Year's gig together 'cause we're done as
    a group in June, so this was a perfect way for us to go out.
    We do an entire Elvis set complete with a jumpsuited Elvis
    with sequened cape and all. It was a good time.

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Our gig was not the smoothest one we've ever had, to be sure. I was fighting a stomach virus that hit at 8pm on the 30th. I got a total of 4 hours sleep that night, and only ate a couple pieces of bread and a baked potato all day. I managed to pull it out, but was definitely not on top of my game.

We didn't have many practices over the holidays, so we were not as tight as we should have been. The crowd was into it, and we got lots of compliments about how we sounded, and the owner wants to book us back again. Overall, a decent gig, but not one of our best by a longshot.

10. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Happy New Year to you all!

We played a really small bar and it was tough...I had about 0 square feet to move and I was as close to the drums as I have ever been or will ever be. He was cool and didn't smack the cymbals that loud but still my ears didn't stop ringing until this morning. The new singer did a nice job although nobody wrote up a set list and we were on cruise control all night. We did well and the people danced, partied, sang and behaved themselves...Cops were EVERYWHERE on the way home!!! I stayed sober all night. We got a nice tip.

11. Thisperson

Thisperson

Aug 19, 2004
    Might've been fun, but I had to be at work....

12. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    first time in 15 years that i havent had to play or tech for anyone. i was asleep at 10:30. very unusual for me

13. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    I have come in my old age to detest New Year's Eve gigs.

Played at a restaurant in a resort town; crowd was young, well-turned out, the children of the overprivileged. They got riproaring drunk. We never did do a sound check, and the PA paid us back by being cranky for the first couple tunes. Leader's guitar had problems all night. He really needs to take it to the shop, maybe this time convinced him. No stage, so I nearly got my teeth knocked out when a couple careened into the mic stand.

Other than that, not so bad. Our accommodations were just a half mile down the road--I liked that part a lot.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    It was, without question, the most massive NYE gig I've ever done. Scottsdale closes off one of the quadrants of old town, and holds a fairly impressive block party. I think somewhere in excess of 10,000 attend. There are 4 or 5 stages, in addition to the clubs - which are mainly DJ's.

We landed a stage in the 100$/ticket VIP area. Being outdoors (how many of the rest of you were outdoors?! :spit: ), a rather massive sound system was contracted. We had 4 QSC Powerlight 4.0's, which translates into something like 6000 W depending on the cabling. I really dislike playing with these large systems. In fact, I've never heard them really used in a musical way. I don't know if the sound guys get drunk with power or what. The gig was a pretty mediocre performance.

The humorous part was that the Scottsdale PD had to warn the sound guy that he was violating city noise ordinances between the second and third sets while he was playing some Sanborn during break. :eek:

The rest of the gig wasn't so funny, though, because after turning down, he couldn't ever get the mix right. :meh:

15. I made $400.00 but the gig was pathetic. The club was charging $25.00 bux a head which sounds reasonable, but this is a place that never charges a cover so some people walked at that. It also rained, so the turn out was just awful. I think we had maybe 10 couples.
    It was also my last show with this band. This also made it a little strange.
    We parted ways as, as a cover band I want to play more dance material and less stuff like Ozzie and Metallica and less overplayed stuf like Honky Tonk woman. I want to play more stuff thats on the radio now (at least from this century) and some R&B.
    Happy Ano Nuevo

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Mine was good enough. A few mistakes from me but I don't think it was too drastic the crowd got into it by the end which was great. We did two hours and finished at 12:45 To let the second band come on and ring in the new year.

We got a free hotel room for the night and a two course meal and a beer out of it which was great (the perks of playing a hotel) Plus we had our biggest earner so far. So after months of paying for new equipment I finally got paid :hyper:

Although the roadie from the second band decided to drop some stuff on my sterling which left a nice little dent in the neck. Which I was pissed off about but what can ya do?

Lasts night gig was much better. We had the crowd singing back and stuff which was great to see.

17. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    We had a blast. Originally, the group had cancelled us, saying that we'd be too loud for the little kids.

NYE, about 8pm, our bassist went down to their party just to see how crappy their "karaoke" and "talent show" were going to be. Between 8:30 and 9, we got three phone calls from people at the party, finally including the coordinator of the whole thing, asking us to come back and play.

So at about 9:15, we found ourselves scrambling for a PA (didn't have time to go get all of our gear out of storage, and certainly didn't have enough time to set it all up). We ended up playing with just amps and some monitors sitting on chairs... oh, yeah.

Lots of young folks at this gig, and we played an hour set (first time this band has ever done that, as far as I can recall). Even though we haven't rehearsed in a while (we've been working on a demo CD over break), it was probably the tightest gig we've ever played, and easily one of the most fun.

18. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    We had a pretty good gig with a pretty decent crowd in a pretty large dance hall. But the setup was odd. They had us set up in a corner. but there was a low partition to our right and the bar was on the other side of the partition. For most of the night the patrons were at the bar. So we were playing to a big empty dance floor with the crowd basically behind us. About half way through the second set we began to get a lot of dancers and things got better. The bar provided drinks for us and our spouses. That was nice.

19. We played downtown at the "Celebrate San Antonio". Six stages, we were at one on the smaller stages. Arneson River Theater stage. If you saw Sandra Bullocks Miss C movie, this is the stage on the riverwalk where they were in bathing suites in the movie.
    An estimated 225,000 were downtown. I hope we had at least 5000 see us as they passed. The weather was perfect until 11:30 than the fog rolled in. Fireworks were a joke, could not see them at all. Also found out my PA system need a serious speaker and power infusion.

B

20. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I played at a...New Years Eve... Bar Mitzvah.9 piece band and a DJ. In the first few minutes, my SWR Goliath III jr finally gave me a problem after 12 years. One speaker was dead. And my handcart broke while exiting. But the strangest part of the night was the realization that I had to get up at 7am to make a gig I booked that was 11am, 120 miles away. So thats 2 gigs within 24 hours. 9 hours of playing, 262 miles of driving, and $1,000 for both. But I was tired