1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How was your transition into "real" life?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Aug 12, 2007.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    What was your experience like with your transition into real life, whether right after high school, or after college? Did you rent an apartment, live with someone else for a while, etc? Dive into the work force immediately?

I'm only a sophomore in college but it's time to start considering these things.

2. I worked fulltime through college and graduated with a political science degree in a poor job market. My "transition" was virtually non-existent. I take that back, my work hours shifted from the evening to the morning and my nights got freed up. That's about it.

Mike

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    On my first night in Navy Boot my group came in late and weren't able to hit the sack until midnight. 3 hours later they were waking us up.:meh:

I thought then that these were going to be the longest 4 years of my life.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I moved out of my parent's house and went straight into the military. 4 years at a military college was my transition into real life.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    When I turned 18 life hit me like a half-ton of bricks. I still lived with my parents, but now I had to do things like go to the doctor, register for school, and of course work, all by my alone. No more hand-holding. It was weird.

Also, it was one of the saddest moments in my life. When I was a kid, I used to think adults had it all figured out. They knew how to handle situations and how life works. I was dead wrong. I can't believe how many morons over 18 there are... it's really scary...

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Getting into the real world was slow process for me because I went to grad school and earned a doctorate which took another ten years of school beyond my BA. My parents helped me, but I got graduate assistantships and gradually took on more resonsibilities.

7. In some ways college and university is the transitional phase. I'm in my second year of university and my first year was probably the most scary 10 1/2 months of my life.

Suddenly I was on my own, living off my own money. I had to deal with all the university paperwork myself, and legal papers too such as insurance and rent agreements.
    I also lived in a private flat this year and I had to cook and buy shopping, pay bills, and arrange my own time. It really made me realise that it was difficult to live in real life and that things didn't always go to plan.

It also freed me in a way that I could choose what I wanted to do socially, financially and academically. It is the reason I choose to play bass as well.

8. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    it was good when i worked in security systems, then i joined the army.

9. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    got a job after college and lived in an apartment by myslelf .. wasn't too bad.

Only reccomendations I Have for people is to never have a credit card ..

except one for EMERGENCIES only ... do not use it for pleasure purposes ... you'll just use it .. abuse it .. run the card up .. then get another card or raise the limit and do the same thing .. over and over.

not good.

10. kevs

kevs

Feb 15, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't think about it yet. Enjoy your remaining college years. You'll have plenty of time to hash it out as you go along. Seems to me like it was never really planned, just daily decisions that got me where I am now. I have a wife, a child, 3 cats, 1 dog and some gerbils. I also just purchased my second home (sold the other one). Like anyone else, I've been through family deaths, layoffs, financial troubles, addictions and etc. Real life is an incredible experience, but sometimes you have to pay the price. Some days (as a family man) are magical and some days I would trade a vital organ to be in my college days again. Being a Sophomore in college, I would just worry about a potential major if you have not decided yet. ;)

11. The next morning after checking into my first Navy command in Norfolk, Va. I realized immediately that I had no recourse for the dressing down I was receiving from a senior E-6. He took one look at my uniform and went ballistic on me!

I corrected everything he was screamin' about and then some. It was a rather painful (embarrassing) wake-up call, but he did help me more than he realized with that very public 'grooming lesson'. After that day, he never again had to raise his voice to me as we got along just fine .. for me, I gained some valuable survival and uniform maintenance skills that I used from that day forward.

12. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    ill tell you in about 15 days

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Another straight into the military. I got to Fort Sill and thought to myself "what the **** am I doing??!?"

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm not in real life yet. I probably wont move out until I get married. Might as well mooch off of my parents as much as I can.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I've had a card for a while now. At least a year or two. I have a $500 limit and I usually only buy stuff like strings and accessories for it. Anything online that's cheap, really.

Only reason for that is so that I build up a credit history. Expensive purchases go directly from my account.

I think cards are alright, but you definately have to watch yourself...

16. Real life? What's that?

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's what happens when there's a power outage or the internet provider is having problems.

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm working on the transition now. I have no clue how long this will take, or what's in store. :confused:

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I joined the Marines to get away from my mother. It was worth it.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Joined the Army right after high school. My transition happened overnight. Like Munji said, it was worth it.