How we ended up opening for Les Claypool with Bob Weir at the Fillmore last night ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ... is a story that will have to wait until I'm better rested. Here's a teaser; we were introduced by Wavy Gravy.

- Dave
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    This is a tale that is destined to take us places both wonderful and strange.
  3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    He's still alive ???!!!
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Claypool and Weir. Were they together or sharing a bill?

...and congrats!
  5. They played together with a drummer whose name I didn't get. They did a bunch of Beatles and Grateful Dead covers and some other stuff. They played; Dear Prudence, Tomorrow Never Knows, Aiko Aiko (is that the right name?), Not Fade Away and some others. (er, I guess the Dead covered those but you get the point)

I gotta run. I'll be back later with the rest.

- Dave
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I miss the bay area.:crying: :bawl: I have so many good memories of the Fillmore, Warfield, Greek, Yoshis, Great American, Slims, BCT, etc.

I want details!
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I also am suddenly missing the bay. I must know how you got this gig!!!!

8. Okay, here's the story. It starts with the sudden passing of a very good friend of mine, Don Pearson. Don Pearson was a co-founder of UltraSound and the sound engineer for the Grateful Dead for like 25 years. He was a guru in the live audio industry. He has a web site at and there's a memorial page for him at my company's web site: . Don and I worked together over the last 10 months or so and we also spent many hours at his place hanging out and watching movies and stuff. He was one of my best friends. This was the biggest loss I've ever experienced.

Almost immediately after his passing, it was decided that there needed to be a memorial concert at the Fillmore for him. You won't find the concert listed anywhere. It was a private event. I had been talking to one of the people involved and asked him if there was a chance he could get us a set. Obviously, he came through for us which was really cool.

There were between 500 and 800 people there depending on whose estimate you believe. I don't remember the names of all of the musicians who played. The first band was called the Selfish Pigs. The bass player was Bobby Vega ( ) who was one of the nicest people you could hope to meet (and a smokin' bassist too!). He let me use is Glockenklang bass rig. It sounded great! The guitarist was also very cool but I forgot his name.

Don's longtime friend Dan Healy did an acoustic trio set. They started when we were supposed to start. We were all ready to get up there and play and then Wavy Gravy asked who the next band was and was told it was the Dan Healy Experience or something like that. We were kinda upset at that point because we weren't told we were being pushed back and our drummer really couldn't stay late because he had his 7 year old daughter there.

We did get to play next though. As I mentioned, we were introduced by Wavy Gravy ( ) which was kind of a trip. They wanted us to cut our set down to 20 or 25 minutes. We were originally only going to play 30 minutes anyway. I think we ended up playing about that long. Since by that point we were a little agitated because we had been bumped from our time slot without any notice and our sound check was kinda pointless (after 3 minutes of playing our sound check we get "You guys are way too loud. You have 3 seconds to fix it."). Seemed strange to me that they were saying we were too loud when they were in control of the PA.

Once we finally did get on stage, I was just a little numb from being irritated for the previous hour and the sound check that didn't really help. We had decided that we were just going to pull all the stops and play our asses off. Not sure why. I think it was our way of expressing our irritation. We did make a lot of mistakes though. The drummer and I couldn't hear the guitarist very well which made it hard to play. We made it through okay though. We were about 50% at that show. We were at about 80% at our previous gig ( ).

We had fun though. It is a rush being up there with all the lights and stuff. The whole night was being videotaped and recorded so hopefully I'll have some clips up soon.

Anyway, after us was Les Claypool, Bob Weir and a drummer whose name I don't know. He was great though. They played for about 90 minutes, I think. They played mostly covers. It was kind of an impromptu get together. They were billed as "Performance 3" in the schedule. They were really good. Bob Weir is primarily a rhythm guitarist so Les's lead-bass style fit in very well with him. The sound was great. I was really close to getting up there to jam with them towards the end. The stage manager told me to go for it but I decided not to since I had actually strained one of my fingers in our last tune. Good thing I didn't because a bunch of the guys from Selfish Pigs did go up and play so I'm glad I didn't step on Bobby Vega's toes there since he was just such a super nice guy.

After the show, I saw Les and Bob Weir going up the stairs to the dressing room and gave Les a CD. :)

Another funny little thing; I had gone up to the dressing room during the first band to warm up some more and tune up and Bob Weir was in there doing something on his Mac laptop. I asked if he would mind if I warmed up a little in there and he said it was fine. So, there I was pthwapping away trying to get warmed up and Bob Weir was just sitting there. A sax player stopped in and they started checking out my 7-string. They both liked it.

So, that's the story for now. I'll try to remember some more and post it later.

- Dave
  9. There's a set list for the Les Claypool/Bob Weir set at:

They estimate that there were fewer people there because by that time, many people had left. Apparently, a lot of people there were not prepared for the contact high caused by the perpetual smoking of the wacky tobaccy. :D

- Dave
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    It was Jay Lane. He's killer, I used to see him play with Charlie Hunter at the Elbo Room in the Mission. Cool trio.