1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How well do EMG's record ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 27, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How well do EMG's record ?

2. TK-421

TK-421

Jun 26, 2007
    Denver
    Depends on how you have the preamp set. I have a set of HZs in my Schecter custom 4 that sound killer when you tip the low end EQ up a tad but when you have it running through DI it's a little overbearing so I just keep the boost knobs at their flat settings

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Amazing

when they're in an 80's Steinberger, using a DI box and a mike(Sennheiser) in front of a 10" speaker...AND the engineer has a clue plus ears.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.

OR an early '90s Steinberger through a Groove Tubes ViPre into an LA-2A, and the engineer is me, with help from folks with decades of experience.

EMG's record wonderfully. They'be been on hundreds, if not thousands, of hit tunes by now, I'm sure.

5. MAJOR METAL

I have heard of some models ( j40) being noissy whille recorded.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    EMG's shine when recorded. They have a little natural compression to them which is neat for recording.

7. They sound great recorded. They naturally have that really hi-fi thing going for them so they sound great even recorded flat with no effects.

8. 2minkey

2minkey

Apr 23, 2006
    seattle
    yeah they sound good and flat to me, not a lot of "character" but that's not always what you want. at all.

9. Yeah, to me EMG's just sound really clear and uncolored. Kind of like listening to a cd through a really good sounding stereo.
    They respond well to eq'ing, though.

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

I've recorded several EMG P's and EMG J's on numerous occasions and I prefer using them because they are noiseless and very neutral and even sounding. They respond very well to EQ after recording.

I prefer using the 18v setup just for the peace of mind of more headroom, but I've never noticed any significant difference from the standard 9v. The batteries will last about 1500 hours (a couple of years of typical use) but if you try to record EMG's with a low battery you'll get a clipping distortion that may or may not be obvious at first but, if present, will ruin the recording.

11. MAJOR METAL

Do they record better with an onboard preamp ?

12. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I've recorded my Warmoth with EMG J pickups for several small projects. It always sounds great, and it usually needs no tweaking to work well in a song.

Better with preamp? Don't know, mine doesn't have one - that is, it doesn't have any extra EQ circuits. The EMG pickups do have an internal buffer preamp, you know...

13. Modulrob

Modulrob

Jan 8, 2003
    I prefered the DC soapbars recorded straight, with all eq'ing done post on better equipment (quality mixing board, computer plugins, etc.) I should mention that I've only played in studios for the last 15 years, no live gigs, and have reached the opinion that onboards are really only good for tweaking on stage to avoid running back and forth to an amp. Even the best ones are sub-quality compared to boards and plugins when recording & mixing. A strong, clean signal matters more than anything else, and EMGs deliver that straight up.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021