1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How well do G&L's record ?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 12, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

What has your expirence been recording with a G&L bass and how do they sit in the band mix ? , thanks.

2. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    I coincidentally just recorded my L2500 yesterday, and so I can say my answer is "it sits in the mix quite well."

Unfortunately I don't have a snippet of it on the web, which would be ideal so you could judge for yourself.

Long list of caveats: I was after serious growl and grind -- may not be others' cup of tea; I'm sure I could have tweaked the bass' controls so that it *didn't* sit well; I did use some processing (POD), compression, and EQing. However, I believe all of that tweaking was only slight.

Regardless, I'm happy with it, and believe that any weak links in the tone I got are because of my playing and my admittedly novice engineering skills. I intend to re-record, probably will back off on the processing, and definitely will be practicing my bass playing a bit to improve it. The bass will remain constant, though.

HooBass

3. I recorded with a early L2000 a few years back, came out pretty well considering the time constrants we had (read as limited $ for the studio guy).

4. vcat

vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    I recently helped out a friend to record some of his original stuff in the studio with my L-2000. As I was listening to the first take I was amazed at the tone of the bass and the way it sat in the mix. I asked the engineer what efect and eq curve he had applied. To my surprise he told me that he had not applied anything; that was a direct sound of my g&l. I think L-2000 is an excellent recording bass. It is the bass I would take to any gig or any recording project.

By the way, how is your custom ASAT doing?

Vidas

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    One of the nicest things for recording i sht series/parallel switch. I almost always use series live and parallel for recording, give a cleaner signal that is more appropriate in a recording situation.

6. MAJOR METAL

It ships either today or Monday ! :hyper:

7. My G&L's record very well. If you'd like (depending on your internet connection speed), I can email you some songs recorded live - pre eq - of both the L2K and the JB-2. I do have home studio tracks of the JB-2; however, I haven't mixed anything down (and probably won't for a while).

What I will say is this: The JB-2 is THE bomb for recording. The L2K records phenomenally well - sits great in the mix - however, surprisingly enough, the JB through the Dem pre is esoterically unreal for a track that just pops out at you while not being overwhelming. I'm sure quite a bit of that has to do with the pre - the Dem is great - I was just surprised at how well the jazz bass went to tape.

Jay

8. MAJOR METAL

Thanks for the feedback guys, I look foward to recording some material with my G&L thats on the way .

9. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
  10. G&L's record rather nicely... i used my L2000 for the bass in our album and im pleased with the tone. :) i have some snippets at soundclick, all except look at me, gone for real and courage to be was recorded using my g&l l2000... pardon the quality of the bass pieces, i recorded those at home, and i seriously lack engineering skills... ehehehehe

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=170661

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  12. Mine recorded great. I tend to go both pickups wide open, active on (but not treble boost), bass boost on (technically, parrallel on), tone controls wide open for groove sections and bridge pickup, same tone control setup for solo sections. www.myspace.com/bassjones for two samples. First was through my SWR Grand Prix into a cheap Fostex digital recorder, second through a SansAmp active Bass DI into ProTools.

13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I've used an L-1000 in the "boost" position for the majority of my recorded work regardless of the live bass I may have been playing at the time. The consistently superior results have often prompted recording engineers to ask what kind of bass I'm using. :D

For good results, roll off the bass tone knob slightly (a little less than 1/4) and inform the engineer to adjust the input gain downward somewhat; I've heard engineers say "Sounds farty!" but it was due to their input set too hot initially.

14. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    30 seconds to mars.

G&L all the way.

check out the song called 'the fantasy'

15. here is a commercial we just wrote for stampede beer, I think it sounds really good, deep !

16. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    4 examples----4 completely different kinds of music

"Polaroid Picture" by Outkast is I believe an L2500, and other tracks on there played by Brandino I think

"Over Easy" album by James Hardway Collective is all L2500 except for track 1

"Make it Beautiful" Sara Lee's solo album is L2500, maybe some L2000 too

"Live at Stubbs" by Matisyahu is L1000

17. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I recorded on Friday the 13th last month.

I am very excited about how my sound turned out. Usually the engineer wants to use his own equipment. This time, I used my stuff and the sound I got was honky, growly and very aggressive. I'll try to post a short clip sometime (my guitarist is very picky about sharing stuff that's not done yet).

BTW, the recording was done on an SB-2, through a SansAmp BDDI, to my TE GP12 and Avatar 2x10 + Ashdown 15.

Love it!