1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Well Do Mic Preamps Generally Work As Bass Pres (looking at 1u Half-rack ones)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm looking around at different 1u half-rack pres, and several mic preamps came up. Here's one in particular, the Alto Alpha MicTube 2-channel pre:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alto-Alpha-MICtube-2Channel-Preamp?sku=180330&src=3WDTWXX

Tube pre with Hi-Z inputs for instrument signals, 2 channels, very low price, etc. Has anyone used any mic pres for bass usage? I haven't, and was curious if there's anything different in the response or handling. It (or something similar like the PreSonus stuff) would be a very useful addition for me. Any suggestions? Just seeing if there was something along the lines of the Summit Audio TD-100 but less expensive and designed more as a pre than a DI, which I don't need.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Check out the Studio Projects VTB-1. I believe there is a review of it either here or over in effects. It's similar to the Alto.
    I've been using an Avalon 737 with nothing to complain about, and I believe Jean Baudin and Oddio are both using the Millenia STT-1 with success.

3. I've been using the ART studio V3 for about six months now. Started using it in the studio and plugged it into the MicroTech just to see. I love the tube warmth and tone.
    But I guess it is up to personal taste.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You mean the 2 rackspace $3000 studio pre :D? I'd love one of those (or even the TD-1), but it would neither fit my budget nor more 1u half-rack space.

The VTB-1 looks nice- good price too.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yeah, the VTB-1 might be right up your alley. I've been thinking about ordering one for a while now. Tom B's been using a Summit Audio piece with his Berg IPs. I can't remember if it's the 1/2u DI or Pre, though.

6. Presonus Eureka here - transparent as all get out. Excellent compressor, EQ if you need it. Gets my vote.

7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I have one of those Altos. I used it in front of an old Aiwa CD recorder to have a record of rehearals. It worked able-y for that, but I haven't used it for bass. Now I have a Marantz with pres built in, so I haven't used it in about a year. For what it's worth, the old Aiwa/Alto combo sounded better than the Marantz, but it just wasn't as portable for recording gigs.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Anyone ever use the Presonus Blue Tube, or Digitube for bass? Thinking about getting one with a BlueMax compressor.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Here's another neat looking one with a front panel instrument input- a compressor as well, which I prefer. Don't know anything about it though.

SMPro Audio TB 101 Tube Mic Preamp

10. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    There are definitely a ton of great options by going for a mic-pre or a channel strip. You can find stuff in all different sizes, various types of eq setups, and good quality compressors, too--probably better than most compressors built into bass amps. The problem I run into is using other outboard gear with them. Your routing options are usually very limited with a pre or channel strip. No effects loops, no tuner outs, etc. If that's not an issue for you, then they are great.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Definitely not an issue for me. My effects come from my Boss VF-1 which I use as one of my two preamps, and the only other effect is the Looperlative stereo rack looper, and I run line outs from the preamps into that and out from it into my power amp.

12. Im getting a presonus rack preamp (for both bass and recording vocals) on the go

Cant afford the Eureka, but it does look really nice!

Im going down the route of the TubePre, EQ3B (para EQ) and Comp16 (compressor), and these units can all be connected to make a single rack unit, so thats what im doing :D

If they work well, i may eventually upgrade to the eureka or the higher up 1/2 U models

13. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    These are probably easy to get in Scotland. I don't know the price of the components you listed but if they add up to somewhere near the price of a 5051, check it out. Very nice for bass and recording vocals, excellent for live vocals and drum overheads imo. Clear, smooth and absolutely never harsh, flexible and easy to use. I think the reason you never hear them mentioned on TB is the site is dominated by American experiences and TLA doesn't seem to have much of a presence there. Very good gear for the price. Designed by a bunch of ex-Neve engineers. Apologies to the OP it's a full 2ru device.

14. Wow, looks pretty sweet!

Like the original poster, i was also looking mainly for a 1U preamp, but i did have a look for the TLA, unfortunatly its about £320, the presonus build up that i was looking at is almost half that price (approximatly £180 for the 3 units).

However, if i ever upgrade the clean/mic preamp ll definatly look at TLA!

15. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    +1 for the TLA 5051!!