Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How well do Musicman basses sell?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Mar 25, 2002.

1. This may sound like an odd question, but, I bought my Stingray in early December. At that time there were 4 MM basses in the store, 3 'Rays and a Sterling. I went back to get a set of strings Saturday, and the other 3 MMs were still there! I know they're the same ones because I remember where each one had a slght ding or identifying mark.
    And, they're starting to get filthy with smudge marks. I guess no one in the store is cleaning them.

I thought MM basses were supposed to be in such high demand that they more or less flew off the racks.

If you think of it, they sold one MM bass out of four in three months. Oh, BTW, there's a 5 string there that wasn't there a few months ago. I find this strange. Does anyone know if this is the norm?

Mike J.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, that depends on the store.
    MMs sell pretty well for a bass in that price range.

3. I think JMX's right.

The high end section of the music stores near me doesn't change alot.

cheaper basses will sell better than more expensive ones.

4. its funny that you say that. i purchased a 4003 rickenbacker in january of 2001. i have no idea how long it was there before. make a long story short. i didnt think it was right for me, i exchanged it for a mia jazz. the rics still there, lots of smuges. im sure tons of people pull it down and play it, but no takers yet.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Its true. cheaper basses sell faster because of the price... Common sense i guess.. Thats why you will see 20 MIM Jazz basses and 3 MIA Jazz basses. I bought My Ray 5 in July.. They had 2 Ray 5's at the time and when I bought mine, they had been in the store for about a week... Its now march and the other Ray 5 is still in there...

6. Didel

Didel

Feb 21, 2002
    that little ding you mentioned isn't going to make it fly off the shelves any faster.

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I think the point is well made about the higher end basses staying on the wall. If I wanted a $300-400 bass, I'd probably get a new one. The problem that arises is that you can get a mint used MM on the internet (bassgear and harmonycentral) almost on a daily basis for around $800, so why pay $1200-1300 for a "new" one that has been shredded at a store? When I see a $2300 Pedulla hanging at GC, the first thing I think is, "man, I saw the same thing on bassgear.com for $1300!" I think the internet has played a big role in affecting sales of expensive basses at retail stores. There are exceptions, but I think times have changed in that regard. JMO.
    Doc

8. Yeah, you guys all make a lot of sense. It's just that I remember a few times other guys saying that they were going to go into town at the weekend to buy that 'Ray or Sterling they saw in their shop's window, and when they got there it was gone.

You know, it might have a lot to do with the store, or even the chain of stores, as JMX said. Maybe Musicman doesn't sell that well at Sam Ash, but, sells like hotcakes at say, Bass Central or Bass Northwest. I just thought it was super strange that a full 3 months later the same basses were there.

Thanks guys.
    Mike J.

9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    do expensive instruments lure in day-dream prone customers that end up pick up strings and such (at 100% markup?)

are tax refunds all back yet?

will the basses survive xmas (i think not)

i betcha the bread and butter of sam ash is accessories and low-end gear to kids for xmas.