How well do you remember first names?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 19, 2006.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How well do you recall first names of people you just met or say some of the users here? , its a give or take with me i think it really depends on how much i am paying attention.
  2. f_london

Aug 17, 2004
    With me it really depends on how many people i'm meeting at once. If it's only a couple people, then yeah, I'm golden.... but if it's more than that, say 5 and up, there's no way I'm going to remember your name. Like Major Metal said, the whole attention thing plays a part too.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm terrible. Alot of times I don't even hear their names when we meet...I almost always have to ask someone after "What was that guys name again?"
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I'm with f_london on this. More than five people, and I can't guarantee remembering more than two or three.
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Here's a trick that works for me: when you are introduced to someone new for the first time, repeat their name as you introduce yourself and shake their hand. Then, say the name in your head a few more times as you look at the person.

Of course, nothing works well if you're meeting a large group of strangers, except nametags.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I can't remember names at all.
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Same here, when I meet someone new, I tend to forget sometimes because I have other things on my mind (for instance at the beginning of an interview). It is easiest for me to remember a name if I know of the person before meeting.
  8. I can remember faces, but rarely names. I went skiing with a friend last week and he brought a buddy I hadn't met. I must've asked five times what his name was, and I still don't have a clue. I could recognize him when I walked into a room though.
  9. I'm not so good with names, but I can remember a face from like 12 years ago and be like "Hey weren't you sitting next to me on the train that one time?"
  10. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    LOL it's been forever since I've posted here, but MM is still posting these questions :D Glad some things never change :)

Oh, and I'm terrible with remembering first names. When it comes to my customers I'm good at remembering what gear they bought from me. So when someone comes in I'm usually like " How's that Les Paul?"
  11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m not that good with names, but I never forget a face.

It has happened to me way more often than I´d like to that I´ve met someone on the street, I recognize the face, I know that I should know him but I cannot remember why I know him, where I met him, what his name is etc. And then I go on having a 5 minute conversation with said person. When that is done, I'm no closer to knowing who the hell that was, but I still know that I know him.........

That happened to me around 2-3 times just last year and once this year.
  12. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada

and I have a pretty off the wall name so people always remember mine and i feel foolish.
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I can remember arcane electronic parts numbers from 25 years ago just fine, but that hottie at the last gig? No way. It's a real hassle actually, because I'm extremely well known in my community. Lots of people I've never even met know me by name.

But then there is a certain faction that thinks my name is George. I guess I just look like a George to some people; go figure. Better than a John, I suppose. :bag:
  14. I can't really remember names when i meet a lot of people at one time, and usually i just call them what i would guess their name is...for example, ever since i met my friend steve, I've been calling him Jerry...and the name has stuck...everybody calls him jerry now :)
  15. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

to remember names. I was taking PHEN-PHEN for a while. One of the side affects (effects?) was short term memory loss.
    I took a lot of notes at work.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I do quite well.

I have developed my own technique for remembering peoples names. When they say their name to me for the first time, I spell it back to them. It really throws the other person off guard, but also leads into more interesting conversations.

I have found it to be 100% successful since I implemented it a couple years ago.

17. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Since I work at a hotel, I'd say that I remember first names pretty well. Normally when I greet people it's on a last name basis, the proper way if you will, but I'd say I can remember names and room numbers on a consistent basis. Whenever someone checks in, it's last name first, followed by their first name and eye contact. :)

18. Unfortunately, I am extremely terrible with names. But I have very good face / info retention... I love talking to people, but oft times when it's a quick intro - hello, especially in crowds, I oft forget the name. But give me a few minutes face time and a quality chat, and I'm good to go.

I sometimes (goofingly) wear a (small) nametag when I go out, it's kinda lame, but it's an icebreaker...especially if I write something goofy.
  19. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Not so good. I have an embarassing habit of calling people by the wrong name.
  20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Very well. It is rare that I do not remember your name after we've been introduced, and it usually only happens when I was distracted while being introduced.

That said, I have gone to at least a couple social gatherings where I've been introduced to dozens of people and forgotten all their names within 5 minutes. But, by and large I do not forget.

I have also been in awkward situations where someone remembers me and I do not remember them.