1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How well do you take care of your pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Silver Hammer, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Looking through the pedal board thread as I do very often it just hit me, some of you guys keep your pedals looking pretty pristine. Now, I look in the Pedal Boards of the Stars thread and many of them have very beat up pedals. Is it just that they tour and therefore give them more wear or are you guys more into collecting and resale or maybe just treat them better?

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    My pedals get velcro'ed onto the board, and are only transported from my house, to rehearsal to gigs. They're always covered when not in use and stay pretty stationary at all times. I'm always considerate of resale value, but in my opinion as long as a pedal works, it still has value. I personally would never be upset if a pedal had scratches on it.

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    It depends on how much touring/road use they get.

I've had all of my pedals fly off the roofs of cars, stomp on, dropped, etc. It just comes with the territory.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I've had the wah in this picture for over 8 years and I've had the phaser for over 17 years [although that pedal is over 30 years old]
    l_db42625fd0334ee8ac44ad588a4d02c3.
    They still look and work just fine!

5. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I cant lie... I treat all of my equipment pretty rough.
    The road be a harsh mistress...:meh:

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    as long as you have a nice case such as a pedaltrain......they should always look in pretty decent shape. having a nice pedalboard makes a very very very very big difference then taking em on a sub par pedalboard or separately.

7. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    I treat them equal with my bass. I Clean them after usage.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wipe mine down with Clorox Wipes after every show, clean all contacts with Deoxit, wrap them in cellophane and pink gift tissue paper, then I have the road crew carry them one at a time to their own personal limo, then they are taken to my special effects humidor, a 10' x 10' climate controlled glass room in my underground lair.

9. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    watch it now...
    that cellophane could scratch one...

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    You keep them all in one room? A random gust could knock them closer to one another, causing personal tension between the effects

I prefer to keep all mine in their own separate mansions, allowing them full rest and relaxation before I call them for their next use.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Like a $5 whore.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I tend to be a bit raw with gear in general.
    Pedals get stepped on and lie on stage floors, obviously not a very enviable position.

13. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    :D:D:D

14. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Haha this thought is actually what inspired this thread. The words that clicked in my head were "How is something that lies on a floor (or close to it) and get's stepped on by (often) dirty shoes that clean?"

15. I only have my Boss ODB-3 left, and I bought it used. It had some nicks when I bought it. It got used heavily when I was playing in a band, so it incurred some more damage. It's character baby!

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I like it when they look like my OC-2.

DSCN1998.

This pedal was made when I was 3 so sadly the wear and tear is from someone else.

17. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    I try to treat mine well, but I make sure that any pedal I buy is in a durable enclosure and will be able to handle me hitting them pretty hard with my boot

18. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I try to take good care of them... but sometimes accidents happen.... the only thing I could not do for a pedal is putting velcro on it =/ I just can't... by the way nice looking OC-2 mine doesn't look that well

19. What's the point of taking super good care of an effects pedal? The point of them is to step on them. They're made to be durable and to be thrown around. It takes a hell of a lot to render a well made pedal useless. Unless it's some super expensive botique pedal, there's no real point in babying them.

I take reasonable care of mine, but I'm also not too concerned with keeping them new and shiny. I throw them around a bit. I don't have a pedal board. I throw them into the bag I keep all the cables in.

Edit: I'd say a reasonable guess as to why most TB'ers pedals are pristine is that they sit in their bedrooms for most of their lives.

20. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    adamrobertt: ouch......