1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How well do you think this idea would go over on a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Did several searches, came up with nada. So here we go:

Has anyone ever played a semi-hollow jazz bass?
    Heck, has anyone ever seen one? Closest I can think of is the Warwick Infinity...

I like semi-hollows, and GASing for one, but I can't help but think that the electronics have a lot more to do with their sound than the two cavities in the body. I mean, it's always Hofner or Gibson minibucker stuff, never true single coils.

I wonder what it would add to the overall tone of a Jazz bass...more bass, less mids? More "organic"? What do you guys think?

Honestly, in my mind, I feel like it would add more rumble and growl to the tone, which I'm always after. Anyone else feel like this GAS is justified? (actually, when is it ever :D)

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
  3. Aesthetics wise, I think the hollowbody/f hole style makes any instrument look swankier. I'd kill for a thinline-esque jazz. Allthough I think it would look funky on a P-bass.

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    It does add that "Rob-Allenesque" aesthetic to it for sure. I'm a heck of a lot more interested in the tone though. Maybe I'm just hyping it up in my mind...but I feel like it would make it sound the way I described it in the OP: more rumble, growl.

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
  6. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I believe you can get a warmoth "chambered" jazz, or what ever shape you want really. No cool f-holes though. I would love to try one of those Warwicks one day.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If it behaves like most semi hallow electric guitars, getting miles of controlled feedback ala ted nugent on bass, should be easier in most cases imo.

8. I can't stand the look of f-holes on asymmetrical double cutaway bodies. For me it either has to be symmetrical or a single cutaway, or else it looks ridiculous and silly.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Paging lomo! Paging lomo! :D TB'er lomo has a very exotic J bass made of a carbon composite, which has not only a hollow body, but a hollow neck!!! :eek: http://www.basslabusa.com/#SOUL

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    bongomania...> Egads, hollow neck to. Talk about stash space. Lol. Basslabs seems to make some mighty fine basses. Humm, Id like to see one of their doublenecks in black finish and 4 string each side.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. plus i don't like the look of a single f hole. however, i don't mind it so much if the body is a telecaster body. the thinline tele guitar is killer looking.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, that bass in question is a CIJ TNB110-SPL Precision Thinline Hollowbody, and while I really like it a lot, and I think it does a great job of nailing a Tele-bass kind of vibe (but with a bit more space and also a bit more articulation from the bridge pickup), it is far from a J-bass, so I would not consider it to be indicative of how good/bad a semi-hollowbody Jazz might sound. Here's a pic, along with my Precision A/E:

148_4900.

The semi-hollowbody ASAT is another potential comparison:

IMG_8279.

At least in this iteration, though, it seems to sound a lot like a solid body ASAT. That might be due to the electronics, though, as they probably have more of an impact on tone than your standard passive J-style setup would.

Tom.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For years, I regularly played a DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow, which is closer to a Jazz than most semi-hollows due to its single coil pickups and 34" scale. The major differences would be the trapeze tailpiece and mahogany body. Even so, with both pickups on, it has some tonal similarities to a Jazz with both pickups on full. Played aggressively, it growled almost like a J. But of course it sounded thicker than my Jazz bass. On the neck pickup, it sounded like a great P-bass, and produced very little single coil hum.

http://dipintoguitars.com/product.php?id=11

The ASAT could probably get very close to a semi-hollow J with a single coil option, which some players do add to these and L-2000's.

14. I don't see the point of f-holes in a jazz bass. The point of the jb is to be a solid body instrument. I dig the Depinto, and some Guilds and even the Cassidy but those are different kind of instruments to me. I prefer heavy solid as a tree jazz basses.

15. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Cool. That's what makes this site so much fun. Everyone has their own take on things. I was just pondering. Now I'm thinking I need to try that ASAT :)

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was just rocking that bass at practice last night, and it was a highly satisfying experience! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

IME/IMHO, that preamp can take a little while to get your head around it (it's got more going on than you might initially think), and even after that, it takes some fine-tuning, but overall, those electronics allow you to cover a very wide range of tones.

17. BonsaiBass

BonsaiBass

Jan 10, 2012
    Is that one on the top a short scale bass? I like it! ;)

18. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway