1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How well do you think YOU play the bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RyanJD, Jan 22, 2017.

1. 10

7 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. 9

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. 8

53 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. 7

108 vote(s)
    22.5%
  5. 6

101 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. 5

83 vote(s)
    17.3%
  7. 4

46 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. 3

37 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. 2

17 vote(s)
    3.5%
  10. 1

7 vote(s)
    1.5%
  11. [Insert standard carrot-related option here]

16 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    There's not much point to this poll/thread. I just thought it would be interesting to see what TB members think of their own playing abilities, on average.

Say that '10' is the skill level of a bionic hybrid of Geddy Lee, Victor Wooten, Jaco, [insert your favorite bassist here] with flawless technique and perfect execution.
    A '1' is your 95 year old grandma, who has never touched a stringed instrument before, picking up a bass and trying to play.
    And a '5' is your general "average" playing ability; an even ground between the two extremes.

Don't be modest, be realistic. And this is just for fun, so don't take it too seriously. Feel free to chime in with why you picked the level you did.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I gave myself a 4, which I would guess is about as lousy as someone playing as long as I have been (45+ years) can be. :) But I'm getting better faster than ever before! :)

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I'm a damn good bass player, not just from my point of view but others as well.
    I gave myself an 8.

4. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    10. The day I think I'm not a 10 is the day I stop playing.

5. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I gave myself a 6. Which is a little above average, I guess.
    I docked myself points because my technique needs a lot of work, my ear isn't great and because I don't read music transcriptions very well.
    So in my book, I'm right around 6.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Well enough to be gigging with someone nearly every weekend and to be on several first call lists. Not sure where that falls on the spectrum.

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Uhh... no 11?

8. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    learning guitar at age 10 and then this at age hmmmmmmm I stink at guitar center, but I can mimic ok. I play for me, so I don't really care what the schmoes at GC think anyhow.

Still trying to learn as always though.

Gospel Bass Player and asands like this.
  9. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    4 or 5? I can play simple songs reasonably well but I'm still a beginner and my overall skills still need a ways to go.

Gospel Bass Player and dbbltime like this.
  10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I am only held back because I can't find other musicians of the same caliber. One of them should be by any minute to feed me grapes.

11. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    So with 16 votes cast we're sitting at an average of 6.875. Mildly interesting.

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  12. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    I gave myself a 6. I play for a living and think I'm pretty good until I hear someone who actually is. There is always something new to learn and even though my skill level has risen considerably in the 38 years I've been playing, I haven't even scratched the surface of what can be done musically with a bass. I wonder how Victor Wooten would answer this. I'm gonna go practice now.

13. DocShocker

DocShocker

Jan 31, 2015
    Michigan
    I rated myself at a 4. 10 years ago, I would have put myself in 6 territory, in those days. I was single, was part of a healthy music scene, and could afford myself 6 hours a day to learn the craft, polishing technique, learning theory, and reading music properly.

I know I've had a bit of back-slide, as my focus has shifted to being a Father, and a husband. I still play every day. It just isn't with the same drive that I had before. A trade I would make again if given the chance.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nobody has flawless technique.

I voted 6 only because the 10 bar was set pretty high. My phone rings more than I want it to so I'll leave it at "plenty good enough" in many cases. ;)

15. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I voted carrots. It doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what the people who hire me think. You ask me "Are you any good?" My response is "It's not for me to say. But whatever I'm doing, some people like it enough that they will express their confidence in me by paying me to help them make music."

16. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    This is the most admirable thing I've read all day. I'm getting ready to propose to my girlfriend and I hope I can be a good husband and father someday.

ANYWAYS. Lots of interesting posts in this thread... :cautious:

17. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  18. drittal

drittal

Dec 10, 2016
    Solid 2.

The day I consider myself a 10 is the day I quit playing because there is nothing else to learn or room to grow.

I play because I enjoy it.

19. Aelfwine

Aelfwine

Jul 21, 2016
    I would not consider myself to be horrid at playing bass, for as I understand the fundamental role in a band that a bass plays in contrast to guitars, drums, esc., and attempt to achieve such role with a focus in technicality. However, I believe that being "good" in this instance must be bestowed upon by others, for as how a person perceives his/herself is different from how others perceive you.

Regardless if others perceive you as good, one must always practice.

20. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Banned

Since this is just for fun and since you didn't specify whether 5 meant average or if 5 meant half way to master.... If you make the average 5 then I'd say 7. But on the continuum from 1 being beginner with almost no knowledge/skill to 10 being a master then I'd say I'm a 4 with the average guy being 2 or 3 and probably only a handful of pros, if any, who would actually call themselves 10's on this scale.