Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How well does the iamp500 drive the NL-210 cab?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by smarvelous, May 18, 2004.

1. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I ask in this forum, because I know that Mr. Dimin has both of these products and I'm GASsing for a new head and cab. Since the iamp500 is rated at 350W at 8 ohms perhaps the CXL112 is a better match but I'm suspecting that the NL210 will get me the percussive, punchy, clear tone that I seek (I play latin and brazillian jazz, usually not that loud and when I play salsa I have PA support). I love to be able to make my bass punch like a tuned drum and I also love to fill the room with lows.

Will the iamp500 drive the NL210 loudly? I wonder if EA is considering a 4ohm version?

thanks...

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I love the combination of the 500 and 210. The 210 is EXTEMELY Clean cabinet. The 112 has more "punch" to it than the 210. The 210 is more like a monitor speaker in its clarity throughout the bandwidth while the 112 has a bit more midrange punch. With PA support, I think the 500's combination of size, power, weight, clarity is great. If you need more headroom, than I would go with an 800

Mike

Mike

3. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Thanks, Mike.

I played a medium sized room w/ an 8 piece salsa band last night with my wizzy 1-12 (no PA support) and was reminded how great that little cab sounds. I've decided 2 of them would be beautiful for the kinds of gigs I'm doing. So it's a done deal, I ordered a second wizzy and an iamp500 from bass northwest.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    when I performed at Bassquake 2003, I used a Wizzy combo and a Wizzy Powered extension - which is almost identical to your rig, an iAMP 500 and 2 Wizzy's. I really loved it. I think that you will find that 2 wizzys sound better than you can imagine. I had played a Wizzy combo for a while and was totally blown away when I added a 2nd Wizzy and more power.

BTW, your rig is the same that Lynn Keller plays. I know that she loves hers.

Mike