how well does the Tech 21 Sansamp Tri-AC work on a bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dace, Dec 28, 2002.

1. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    all the reviews on it that i've found on the net are written by guitarists. i want a bassist's opinion.

i'm just wondering if it kills the low end like almost all other distortion pedals out there. there's an eq on it, but there aren't any switches on it to optimise the eq for the bass (like the color switch on the dunlop mxr m-80). how would it know which frequencies define bass, mid and treble if its designed to be usable by both guitarists and bassists?

i've already read pd_5string's opinion on it. what does everyone else think of it?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm thinking of trying one, too. Tech 21 seems to recommend it for bass, as they have some sound samples of it being used on bass. Have you listened to those?
  3. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    yeah i have. sounds pretty good.

if it does preserve the low end well then i reckon it would be an excellent distortion pedal. i don't need the XLR out, so the bass driver DI isn't really for me, it has a mid eq control like the sansamp rbi and it can simulate 3 amps.
  4. lowbass

May 4, 2002
    Just tried it via the effect receive of the SWR Workingman 12, i.e. bypass the default preamp. It actually tighten up the lower strings (E and B strings) of my basses quite well.

IMHO, the SWR sound is too sweet that the lows are just not punchy enough. Now I got a mean sounding solution around that....