1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How well does your band treat the PA and other equipment?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    While working with other bands (and some applies to my group) I notice guys are pretty rough on things when setting up and tearing down. In my case, I have to remind them not to slide things with rubber feet or watch out banging stuff around.

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My band is pretty good with the PA and lights but theres a wide disparity in personal gear. Our lead guitarist keeps all his gear in showroom condition while the other guitarist's stuff is one step away from being held together with ductape. Our drummer and I are probably 7 or 8 out of 10 if 10 is the standard of the lead guitarist. Funny thing is, both of them have more problems with their gear than the drummer or I ever have.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It treats the equipment well, or it gets the hose.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is my equipment, so I treat it well :D

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Probably goes without saying but in general the easier you make stuff to move, the less likely it is to get abused. In my band everything that can possibly be outfitted with handles and wheels, is. PA, backline, the works. I'd say no more than 20% of our total gear requires 2 guys to handle. That means less chance of stuff being dropped or shoved by guys who arent strong enough for it, or too tired after the gig, or just dont give a damn.

6. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    We treat our PA pretty much with kid gloves. I don't think it has a scratch on it. But then again, most of the time we don't use it, except for our outdoor shows or parties.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    We're exactly the opposite. We play 50-60 shows a year and use our own P.A. on all but a few of them. Including some pretty big outdoor jobs (street dances, festivals, etc.). So if our P.A. breaks we're in deep sh*t and you bet we take care of it.

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This.

9. it drives me crazy to see people not taking care of there equipment....im my originals band we take care of our stuff pretty well, personal gear and band gear.

cables are my biggest pet peeve. they are simple to take care of, will last if you take care of them, and are ESSENTIAL to play. you can have everthing in the world on stage, the best gear imagainable...and if you have badly taken care of or not working cable your SOL. ive seen working "professional" bands were the guitar players cable is going bad...looks and sounds awful.

i wrap mine real nice and twist tie them after wrapping. every one has a specific spot so it doesnt get messed up. i even go as far as to wipe them down after a gig if they were laying around or getting stepped on.

im in a cover band with a keyboard player who doesnt take care of his cables at all. just bunches them up and leaves them plugged into his keyboard durring transport ect...and he uses braided cables so they look even worse...ugh...:rollno:

but in general, we take care of the equipment.:D

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    It's pretty funny (or not) to take a look at my band's "typical" stage.

From the drum riser to stage left (where my lead guitarist and I set up), there are hardly any cords or cables, the ones that are there are taped down and the personal gear is in showroom condition (or close to it). Stage right OTOH is spaghetti junction. Cables everywhere in a tangled mess, nothing taped down, and more often than not our rhythm guitarist's beat-to-sh*t old Strat leaning against against a case on stage (no guitar stand). It has fallen over more than once...

Not directly pertaining to maintenence of gear, but one thing that really bugs me is when power cords and XLR cables are not neatly run and taped down or otherwise concealed, and/or too short of cables are used resulting in them being "stretched" visibly across the stage. It looks tacky as hell, is a safety hazard for the band and stresses the cable ends besides. If the cord is too short, use a longer cord... or adjust the set-up to match the length of cord available.

We also have an additional vested interest in keeping a tidy stage cause more often than not the singer will bring a hot chick (or more) up on stage during the show and the last thing any of us wants is somebody hurting themselves up there.

Maybe it's just me but when I'm sizing up a band for the first time I base a fair degree of it on how well their gear is maintained (NOT what kind of gear it is or how much of it), and how they set their stage. I figure if they don't care much about their gear and how the stage looks, they probably don't care much about the music they're playing, either. I've been wrong on this, of course... but not very often over the years.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I take above average care of my stuff. My thoughts have always been that if you respect your gear then it'll respect you (ie. it won't break down on your when you most need it). So far it's proven to be a winning philosophy.

12. I am easy on the lights and electronics and less so on the cabs. I buy my Cabs used so they already have some wear on them. I am probably roughest on the gear and it is mine.

13. SouthTippBass

SouthTippBass

Jul 22, 2010
    I have a reputation among friends for being particular about keeping my equipment in good nick. I have a mixer/power amp thats 8 years old, flight cased, and you would think it was a brand new, flight case included!
    I'm even more fussy about the basses, if I'm playing a slightly rougher pub, or one with out railings or a stage to separate the band from the crowd, I'l bring the MIJ Precision. If the place is a little classier I'l bring the MIA Jazz (aka, the good one!)
    So yes, I take good care of my stuff :)

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I think we are all pretty good about taking care of stuff. I think I do a better job than the other guys, but they might disagree. I'm pretty particular about most of it and how it's handled.

The singer/guitarist owns the PA, so I have no control over what he does with it...but he's not overly rough or anything.