How well does your bass stay in tune?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 24, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Since there are a couple of active threads on tuning and tuners right now, I got to thinking about my own tuner issues. I recently debated allowing some extra space for a rack tuner when buying a new rack, but decided I had no need for it. My bass stays in tune pretty remarkably well. I can put new strings on it, run through a sound check and retune, then be fine for the rest of the night. I'll plug into my little pocket tuner between sets just to be anal, but I seldom need to make more than the slightest tweak. I hardly ever change tunings, and if I somehow get conned into doing something in drop D (I hate it when that happens!), I can tune that by ear quicker than I could by stomping on or turning around to look at a tuner. I don't consider myself to be a soft touch player, either.

I've had other instruments not quite as stable as my current main bass (MIJ Jazz), but never felt that an inline tuner was a neccesity.

So, how does this differ from or match everyone else's experience?
  2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    All of my basses have stayed in tune really well. I guess I’ve been lucky that way. But I have a tuner on my GT6-B so I don't need a rack mounted one. I check my tuning more out of habitual anal ness than necessity:D
  3. with a decent set of strings, my bass has lasted up to a week without being tuned! After a week, I check, and my stirngs were ever so slighty out of tune.. :eek: :D

4. That is almost the same as me (except that I can't afford a rack tuner.)

I can tune up my bass at home, to my tuner, take it to college (long wait in cold, longer bus journey - hot, humid usually - then back to cold again) wander round college all day with it, then go to rehersal in the evening, and it's still in tune.

This is for both of my basses.

I haven't done a gig recently nough to know if they stay in tune from the start to the end.

While some people I know have to tune up after every song. Is this the fault of the bass? Or the strings? Or the person?
  5. maybe they are changing tuning?

or perfectionists.. ;)

also - every bass is different !
  6. My basses never go out of tune. They can be played 5 hours a day for a month, or left on their stands for a month, and they stay in tune.
  7. I left my Carvin LB-76AF in storage for a year while I was in Korea and it was in perfect tune when I opened up the case.

A good stretching of the strings can prevent tuning problems.
  8. My old Fender stays in tune for quite a long while. I use Fender strings. Original bridge too.

My string bass goes out of tune about every four minutes.
  9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Not very well. Somehow, i can cut like, one mm of my strings, and they end up short..... oh well. i barely have one wind on my E and G strings.
  10. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    same here. I've been debating the rackmount tuner for a while and just can't see spending the money on it since I don't feel like it will get much use.
  11. After the first week or so of new strings, I only need to tune about every two weeks, regardless of how much playing I do. String bends might sometimes throw it out of whack, but I don't do that much.

In contrast, I have to retune my twelve-string guitar every single time I pick it up, and then a couple more times while I'm playing it.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got a cheap ass Zoom 506b effects unit which spends most of the night in By-pass mode because that's how it sounds best. Luckily for me that's just happens to activate the tuner. So I can check my tuning on the fly. Neither of my bases fall out of tune but it's a nice way to make sure I'm in tune all the way up the neck. If not, adjust my intonation when I get home.

IME if something sounds out of tune and you're not sure who it is, it's usually not the bass player. It's the other guy, the one with the noisy amp.......
  13. My MIM Fender Jazz deluxe stays in tune pretty well. I tune it every week at my lesson and usually dont have to do it any other time during the week. Although it doesnt help when you drop it on the floor knocking it completely out of tune like i just did. :D
  14. I have a cheap headless Hohner bass that stays in tune pretty much forever.

My musicman does change according to the room temperature. I like to let it settle before I tune up at a gig. It has a maple neck and fingerboard.

My fender jazz doesn't change much. It has a rosewood fingerboard. I think the neck is maple. It is definitely more stable than the musicman.

The usual reason for tuning is because the tuning pegs have got knocked. Headless basses are great for that reason!
  15. My BTB405 is quite stable. I use a Boss TU2 tuner in line that also serves as a handy mute switch. I check the tuning everytime I play with the group, but all I've ever had to do was make minor tweaks. In the winter, I never get concerned about tuning until the instrument has come up to room temperature. We usually experience extremely cold winters in North Iowa and the bass gets cold just transporting it from home to church where I normally play. I never keep my equipment in the vehicle for extended periods for just that reason.