1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How were the 80's Japanese Fender Ps?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, May 5, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I've got a line on an '87 P....that looks like it's been played quite a bit with reckless abandon.

How are they?

2. I love my '87 Sunburst.

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    pics? and mini review?

4. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Mine is a E9 serial number, 57 RI, and is awesome. Sound huge, plays as good as any MIA P-bass !

here's a pic !

2nr3r42.

5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    DANG THAT'S HOT!

How much do these things go for normally?

6. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I don't really know the going rate, but I traded it for a Ibanez musician fretless, which I valued at about $650 CND. Mine has a MIA pickup and Hipshot tuners.

7. Punk Jazz

Punk Jazz

Sep 17, 2009
    Dover, NH
    E Serial P's are generally much better than the MIA counterpart of that era.

8. IME, Fender Japan is incapable of producing a truly bad bass- and I've played and owned a few.

9. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    My 1989 P bass in surf green couldnt be any better.

DSCN0922.

and i don't own this one anymore, and dont remember the year, but this was also excellent. sold it before i realized i loved p's. :(

ba91a6e4.

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    WOW! those are some great looking basses!

The bass is at a pawn shop, and kinda beat up.

Any advice on how to check the truss rod in store?

11. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    I've got one which I turned into a fretless - it is/was extremely well built and sounds great. Unfortunately at the time I was disappointed that it wasn't a USA one, not realising then that it was better-built than them!

12. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Are the pickups good?

Where did they cut costs? labor? or parts?

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The PU's are good in those. Plug it in and give her a play, that's the only way you'll know if it's meant to be. How much are they asking on it? I still see those go relatively cheap, like the $400-600 range

If the strings seem real high, or the neck looks bowed, it might need a truss adjustment...but the only way you can tell is if you play it first. No way to tell if it's shot until you get it home, probably. Unless its a music store, they probably won't let you take it apart at the counter...

I'd love to see some pics though!

There's a certain mystique about these MIJ 80's Fenders that I just love. Too bad they didn't finish them in nitro back them like the AV reissues of that period, you'd see a lot more beat up ones, I'm sure...

Here's my 62 RI - helping push a little GAS for ya
    rug.

14. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    I'm a huge MIJ fan. My only gripe with the modern ones is those small machine heads they use, but that's just me. The 80's MIJ's were great instruments, easily as good as the MIA's.

15. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    :eek::cool:

I played it for about 5 minutes.....but couldn't get a really good feel for it since the nut is busted on the G side.

The neck felt good, and the action seemed decent.
    So I wouldn't think the neck is damaged and the truss rod is functional.

Minty ones are going for $400 - $600?

I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to buy it. Pictures to come tonight!

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    U should go there and take a pic for us - we can tell u more about it

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    If you have a busted nut (LOL) you could easily get $50 or so off the price I'd bet. In fact, I bet they're dying to get rid of it...that could all work out in your favor

Minty ones probably go for $600-700 (highest) and beat up ones more in the $400 range I'd say...this is just from my findings while scouring deals on CL, Ebay, etc.

Shoot them an offer for $300-350 right off the bat and you got a great deal. If you walk out with it paying $400-$500 with a hardshell case, you've still got yourself a great deal IMO.

This guy who owns a shop in a town nearby has been trying to sell an '87 w/ "chameleon" paint job and all maple neck for $400 for MONTHS on CL...literally. It's quite a nice looking bass!
    I'd bet that he'd let it that one go for $375 probably. So it all depends on how bad the seller wants it gone...

18. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it.......but I think they just got it in stock.....they don't tend to move on newly inventoried items.

I was reading something about 32" scale in the 80s?