Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How wide do you make your bass bodies.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Mar 3, 2006.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I was trimming up my bass body i made and was never satisfied and kept trimming and altering untill my body is only 12 1/4 wide. A person should just use their template and stick with that no matter what. I had it around 13 inches but it always felt "blocky" and not comfortable. Oh well...

2. There are no rules on the width, or thickness or even length. That's the great thing about making your own. To me the width is dependant on the design.
    :)
    Dirk

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    agreed - proper width is about balance and aesthetics in design, not some abstract number generated by a bean counter with a skinny tie

my bass body designs utilize a 13-7/8" x 21-5/8" minimum rough out FWIW

all the best,

R

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I normaly make mine 13" or a hair under. I just bought 3 tops that are only going to be 12" so I will be working on a new design. :hyper:

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    how deep do ya'll usually make your basses? i've gotta go wood shopping soon for my first bass and i gotta figure out my dimensions.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    1-1/2" to 1-3/4" .....t

7. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    depth depends ... for reference

Warmoth body = +/- 1-7/8"
    Smith body = +/- 1-1/2"

mine depend on the wood weight, species of body wood, and any specific 'feature' I may be attempting to dodge ... but on average I usually use a body depth of +/- 1-5/8"

if you have the tools available, rough cut 8/4 ought to be all you need for your body

all the best,

R

8. I just finished a neck-thru 5 that is around 13" wide and 1-1/2" thick. I personally like the strings sitting close to the body (my body, that is).

Kinda like sitting in a Ferrari is almost like sitting on the road.